Chapter 29

Ayla's POV

I was able to finish my task with the pendrive in time, and I even gave Peyton a quick rundown of what happened with Tariq and I. She was in complete support of our relationship, needless to mention, and she made me promise I would keep her updated with everything. Shane, however, was uncharacteristically quiet for the rest of the day. Peyton said she would ask him what was wrong, as those two were closer. I knew Shane for a while, but definitely not enough to ask him about feelings. I asked him if he was okay and he said fine, and I think that's as deep as we could go. Tariq didn't seem to like him very much though.

After I finished up with work that day, I headed home, and the cycle repeated. It seemed like Tariq was really busy again as he didn't show up at my apartment the entire week. I texted him to see if he was okay, and he sent me photos of him drowning in paperwork. I felt bad for him, so I decided to drop by at his apartment this Saturday to see how he was holding up.

Saturday arrived, and I was currently in front of my kitchen, debating on whether I should bring food or if he would have food at his house.

Should I bring food? But it's going to be too many containers, and do I really trust myself to carry everything without spilling or dropping anything? No, absolutely not. And I mean...considering how Tariq is a healthy man, and his kitchen is always stocked, he should have food so that we could make a meal there right?

I won't bring food. I'll just make something for him at his house. And with that, I walked out of my apartment, deciding to walk to his house because the weather was fine. Ayla, we really should get a car. It's about time you get one. I know I know, I'll ask Tariq about it later, when he's less tired.

Honestly, without me even realizing, Tariq became a bigger and bigger part of my life. I looked forward to seeing him, and if I went a few days without seeing him, my entire persona seems drained. I didn't think a relationship would be like this, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like a relationship should be like this. Excited and energized to just be in each other's presence.

But I was worried about him. From what I know of him so far, unless he's actually really busy, would he not make time for anything else. And seeing from his lack of presence in everything this week, it seemed like he was honestly really busy. I wonder if he's eating properly. Is he even drinking enough water? I was a little worried to see his condition today, but I had faith that he would be taking care of himself. Right?

I got to his apartment and opened the door. He added my biometrics a few weeks ago so that I could enter his apartment when I wanted to. I joked on what he would do if I stole something and he said if I couldn't, because he would just take it back when he came to my house. But now, entering the apartment with the knowledge that I might move in with him shortly gave it a novel feel.

Now, it's worth noting that both Tariq and I were rich. With Grandpa Hayes backing me, my research getting governmental support, Tariq's business, my inheritance, and all that, we both were absolutely not short of money. But we didn't want to move into a house because we both didn't feel the need. What are we going to do with so much space? We both don't use much, so a nice cozy apartment seemed more than enough for us as of right now.

Anyways, I entered his apartment, only for it to be all dark. Was he not at home? But it was literally 6pm right now, where could he be? I set my things down on the couch and headed towards the kitchen, washing my hands and opening the fridge to see what he had, only to immediately close it. Ewwww something's rotting in there.

I don't think he came back home at all from the beginning of the week. Has he been living at work? And he's always talking about having to be healthy...what a hypocrite.