Escape of the Palisman

Open on a Slayground in the middle of Bonesborough. Several baby-track Hexside students are there. A sign at the front gate reads 'THE SLAYGROUND funded by the Bonesborough Department of Parks & wreck'. Cut to a sign above a bench that reads 'ALL BLOODTHIRSTY MONSTERS MUST BE LEASHED'. Eda and Luz are sitting on a bench under the sign.

Luz is visibly nervous. "What if he gets hurt? What if the kids are mean to him?" She gasps. "My parental instincts are freaking out, man."

"Luz relax, King has a thick skull he won't get hurt," Kaito tells her.

"He's fine. Look at him."

Cut to King trying to climb the slide.

"It does look like he's having fun."

King grunts.

"Aw. I wonder what cute little game he's playing."

"Stand back, cretins," King grunts as he reaches the top. "Yes! Yes! This is a throne worthy of a tyrant. Bow to me, you snotty underlings. Bow!"

The kids share a look. "Okay."

One does a handstand while the other does a backbend.

"Yes, appease your master."

"This isn't for standing, it's for sliding. You try." Another kid shoves him.

"Whoa, whoa!" King screams, and grunts when he hits the ground. "Eda!" He runs to his friends and clings to Luz's leg. "That monster took my throne."

"You mean the baby?"

"No, the usurper. I want you to go over there and blow him up. Kaboom!"

Usurper is riding a spring rider. "Kaboom!"

Eda unscrews Owlbert from her staff. "Yeah, I'm not using Owlbert to blow up a five-year-old."

Owlbert hoots.

"He's got better things to do. Like this..." Eda pets him.

Owlbert warbles.

"Aw, what a sweetie. How did you get him?"

"Get? I made Owlbert from the branch of an ancient tree."

Owlbert hops onto Eda's hand, and hoots.

"Oh, he's my palisman and we're bonded for life." Owlbert hops to her shoulder and nuzzles her cheek. "I'd annihilate anyone who'd hurt him."

"Fine. Don't help. Revenge will taste all the sweeter if they fall by my hand alone." King laughs.

Usurper shoves King over. "Tag, you're it!" He laughs and runs off.

"Oh, man. Here we go. King's squeak of rage."

King stands. "Nyeh... nyeh..." King squeals while wriggling and punching the air, pauses, and then continues squealing as he charges after his rival.

Eda laughs. "He is like a little teakettle." She snorts.

Owlbert scratches his face.

"Hey, what's that?" Luz points to Owlbert's foot, which seems to have a hole.

"That's his interlock. So he only fits on to my staff. Every palisman has one."

As Eda speaks, everything but her, her staff, and the bench disappears.

Eda gasps. "Luz? Kaito?"

Eda stands and looks around the void. Both her staff and the bench disappear.

"Hello?"

"Eda?" Luz's voice echoes.

"Eda?!" Kaito's voice echoes.