Chapter 18

(Koa)

In the morning, I was curled up underneath a blanket in the warm morning light. The ledge had turned out to be quite comfortable and I stared down at Rhys's sleeping figure. The way her blond hair framed her face while her eyelids fluttered softly in sleep. It reminded me of the once cherished feelings I had for Asami. I stamped down the thought of Asami, remembering that all of it was a lie, a hoax, a manipulation.

Sliding out of bed, I walked to the bathroom and splashed water on my face. Would I have the courage to ask Rhys? Would I have the courage to hope and believe we could be something? Walking out of the bathroom I pulled on a shirt and walked out to the hall. Keres was already preparing breakfast. I sat on a chair at the island and poured myself a cup of tea from the kettle.

"Up relatively early I see," Keres turned around and set a plate of toast down. "Eat what you like. There's no formal breakfast in my house." I took a piece of toast and ate it while watching Keres. He moved with purpose, but also gracefully.

Rhys came down the stairs moments after me. She sat in the chair next to mine and poured herself a cup of tea as well. "What's on today's agenda?"

"Felix has news for the two of you. A proposal of sorts shall say," Keres answered. "I would tell you, but Felix was directly given the task."

"What is it regarding?" I asked. I sipped my tea slowly, savouring the citrusy flavour.

Keres turned around and gave me a grave look. "The fate of the world, I'm afraid." He replied. Me and Rhys stared at each other with confused expressions. Just then Felix decided to make his big entrance.

"Good morning," His voice carried a thousand other implications besides the one spoken. "How are the two of you?"

"We're fine," me and Rhys replied. Felix nodded and got himself a cup of coffee.

"Good. I have news for the both of you," Felix replied. He took a sip of his coffee before diving into the bulk of his news. "Perun stole the sixth shard before Kirin got there." We all nodded. "We are still going to use the Thunder Crown, however, without the sixth shard there are usually repercussions to pay. However, there is a way to avoid this." Keres shook his head in fear. "A Celestial Romanor Pact."

"A pact?" Rhys asked. We were both confused. Felix sighed heavily. It was clear that he was not happy with this suggestion.

"A Celestial Romanor Pact uses one's emotions, specifically love, to create a bond. This bond can be used for a multitude of things but the most basic thing a pact does is the stronger the emotion is the stronger a barrier is formed. This barrier formed by the pact can keep Koa safe from the Thunder Crown's after effects. Beyond that, Celestial Romanor Pacts allow the people to heal each other," Felix's long winded explanation came out sorrowful. Remorseful almost.

"It would be in our best interest," I agreed. "How we would go about doing that. Is unclear to me."

"Yes, I think things are dire enough to call for a Celestial Romanor Pact," Rhys agreed. "However, do you really think what is between me and Koa is enough?"

"That is not for me to decide," Felix answered. "You must decide if your own feelings are strong enough." I cast a small look to Rhys, who matched my gaze.

"We'll talk about it," Rhys finally stated, understanding my gaze. We excused ourselves from the table to finally address the one question that has been looming over our heads.

I sat on the foot of the bed, while Rhys settled next to me. I was unsure of how to address the question.