Swap (Demon Kotoha X Human Douma)

Douma was always an outcast. His parents had given him away to the midwife, believing he was a curse for his pale hair and colorful eyes. The Mid Wife had taken him to the nearest temple where a monk had taken care of him till he went off on his own. He would do odd jobs, often covering his hair or dying it, his eyes always cast down or he would wear a hat so he need not make eye contact with people.

He smiles uselessly, never meaning it as he grows up to be a young man.

Then he took in two struggling siblings. He would grow attached to someone for the first time. He had nursed them back to health with the oldest scowling at him for the first day. Gyutaro soon warms up to him when Douma is harassed outside of their current shelter, his eyes having gotten him kicked out of the market.

Douma didn't mind because he got the medicine needed for Ume to heal from her burns.

Douma goes to leave and comes to find the siblings soon following him.

Oh, what freaks they were. Two strange young men with an ill-tempered young woman. All unfortunate all their lives and they had found solace in each other.

Searching for a place to call home. Wanting to find a place where they can belong and be accepted.

They found The Eternal Paradise Faith.

Kotoha had run her cult for a century now. It was always the same. Men come to see her beauty and talent instead of what she truly offers. Asylum to those who need it. The men were always bitter when they lusted after her.

Hopefully, these three were different.

The siblings were skinny and in need of much food. Her eyes brighten when she finds the heart steady for the one that keeps his head lowest. His eyes had never met hers.

He hadn't said a word till she announced the limited space they had.

"Please! Take them even if-" His eyes finally lifted up and her heart jumped as a shiver was sent down her spine.

No demon or human should have such lovely eyes.

Oh she wants them.

"Oh don't worry...Douma~ all will be sorted out so all of you may stay comfortable."

The dye he wore was coming off.

He had meant to redye even as they get accommodated to the place they currently stay at. The female leader was quite nice and sweet to him and the siblings. Kotoha had even given Ume even more medicine for her still-healing burns.

He had gladly grabbed her hands in thanks.

Now he wasn't so sure how long they would be staying as some began to snicker. Gesturing to their hair and then pointing his way.

His lips form a tight smile and he lets his head fall not wanting to draw attention to his abnormal eyes.

In the light, behind a tree, Gyutaro played with his dull sickle. It was due for a sharpening soon. Perhaps sooner than he thought.

From the shadows, emerald eyes don kanji look at her new prey.

Some would go missing. Gyutaro would be pissed at not having a chance to deal with them himself but at least Douma's self-esteem wouldn't be damaged anymore.

One evening, Douma had been heading to the hot springs when he heard beautiful singing. It was lovely and led him in like a trap.

He was quick to fall into the trap that was love upon seeing Kotoha in the hot springs. She would turn to him, wet hair pooling over her chest but it didn't matter.

He was invited in soon enough.

He became her beloved.

Not that many agreed.

They were silenced.

Douma didn't know what had happened, having to have dealt with the same thing over and over again that finally having someone accept him as him and love him made his heart full.

Kotoha was such a loving woman. She had expressed her love to run her hands through his thick blonde hair, not at all bothered by how odd it was in these parts. She especially adored his eyes, endlessly getting lost in them.

--

She would lift his head every time he fell into the bad habit of dropping his head and avoiding her gaze.

There was no need to hide from her or her affections. They are all for him and him alone. Gyutaro and Ume have her thanks for being his companions and bringing him to her.

Her hand lands on her stomach where an unexpected development has occurred. A new life thrum in her where none should be able to live.

She couldn't wait to tell Douma the great news that another would come to adore him as much as she does.