chap 8 || under the stars with him

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone was in their rooms now, Kuroo hadn't had anything to eat yet, but Kenma asked Yaku and Kai to keep his food in the fridge for later, because he knew where his best friend went and decided to let him handle his poor sister when he realized she left her plate of food untouched.

The girls asked them about her, but they assured she was okay, and was just busy with something. But actually, she just sat outside on a grassy top of a hill under the starry sky. Just being with Kuroo in comfortable silence was enough for her right now.

And she loved the stars, the white dots were splattered above the two. A gust of wind blew through their hair, it was a calming space for her, and that's why he took her out here. Although it was pretty dark, making the gym the only sort of lighting around the area along with the moon and stars.

It was a pretty cold for a summer night, and Kaneko forgot her jacket. Kuroo happily gave his up to her and wrapped it tightly around her shivering body with a smile on his face despite Kaneko's many tries to say no.

"Tetsurō... th...thank you, for.. the jacket and..uhm." She timidly sputtered out, playing with her fingers. He looked down at her fiddling hands and back to her red, swollen eyes from the tears she cried. 

"You know you don't have to say thank you." His voice raspy and husky, his gaze was locked on her warmly as he leaned his head on his arms that was resting on his knees, hugging his legs. Kuroo knew that she had a problem with her body image and eating, but he never purposely interfered with it up until now.

She gazed fondly at him before gazing at the sky once more, the moonlight shining down on them ethereally, making her especially look more angelic and lovely than she already is. He was admiring her every detail.

She took a deep breathe, "I still can't help but feel that I was too much, d-did you even eat with them? I made your favourite-"

"Kaneko, please... That isn't important right now, you don't deserve what...she said to you. You deserve so... so much better." He replied in a voice soft with affection, but his brows furrowed. They exchanged glances.

"You... you overheard me on the phone?" She asks with a tilt of her head, her confused eyes meeting his hazel dazed ones once more, gripping the grass under her.

"Yes.. I'm sorry, but it wasn't on purpose." He sighed and shook his head, not breaking eye contact. She smiled tensely, eyes downcast and gulped. No one ever saw her like that before, well.. except her brother.

"It must be embarrassing, huh? you saw me breakdown." She chuckles nervously and shuddered.

"No, it was never embarrassing. I really care about you, Kaneko. I want you to be okay." His voice dropped and octave, his hand inching closer to hers, and his face was slightly pink. He looked into her eyes earnestly.