weeks ago

Charlie has been in a coma for 3 weeks and Nick has been with Charlie every day. There has been no progress. Ben continues to talk to Charlie every day and it becomes more and more difficult. I'm exhausted and I haven't slept in a while because I'm afraid that when I wake up Charlie will be dead. They will pull the plug in 7 days if Charlie hasn't recovered by then. It makes me sad but especially very angry that Jane has kicked Charlie so far into the abyss and destroyed him. I cry softly. I'm holding Charlie's hand and I hear a machine going off. I look at Charlie but I don't really see anything. I'm in my thoughts when I suddenly feel a very gentle movement. For a moment I thought I had dreamed it but I felt it a few more times afterwards. Would that mean that Charlie would wake up? I say char, honey, it's nick, just calm down, don't leave. Charlie calms down and it gives me a moment of hope that he can hear me. 2 days later, Charlie's movements become clearer and he finally opens his eyes. I see a wave of panic in his eyes and reassure him. I think it's working because he just cries. The doctor comes to remove the tube from Charlie's throat and give him oxygen through an oxygen mask. I can't describe how grateful I am that Charlie is alive and around again. But I'm also scared. He never wanted a tube and now he has one and what's the damage?
3 days later Charlie can become his first and can say sentences and he is slowly starting to talk. The damage appears to be minor. He hasn't noticed the tube yet, I think, until the doctor comes in with a bottle of tube feeding. I see the panic in Char's eyes again. No, no, he says, I don't want it. The doctor indicates that Charlie already has a nasal tube. And when Charlie touches his nose with his hands and feels the tube, he pulls it out. No, I shout too late. He is crying because it hurt to pull the tube out. I'm crying because this means that even if Charlie is awake now, he would die without the feeding tube. The doctor looks at me and leaves and comes back with food, I don't want it, Charlie says firmly and pushes the plate away. Char is this really what you want to die? Charlie says no, but no matter what I try to explain, he doesn't believe me no matter what I say. I'm really, really scared.