Chapter 2: Interlude - Wet

Steaming water cut lines across Jinx's back. Fingers twined and caged as Jinx pinned Lux's hand to the shower wall. Her heart thundered in her chest, against Lux's skin, louder each time the other girl murmured in her ear.

Jinx's powerful shower had blasted the last traces of their adventures down in the toxic guts of the Sump off them. Showering, washing each other's hair – for the first time in Jinx's memory, doing that twice in three days - washing each other's bodies in silence had left a painful, sweet itch in Jinx's skin, just like the first time. Only now it was unbearable.

The silence, and the soft looks of longing - that hadn't lasted long. Nothing now remained to hold them back.

Jinx didn't know who'd kissed who first. Only that the cascade of water down the clean lines of Lux's body – the places she was soft and curved and the places she was lean and athletic – drew her like a magnet. Only that her skin was flawless, every scar of sword-training, mishap, misadventure perfectly placed for Jinx to trace with a fingertip or bless with a kiss. Only that the moue of her small seashell lips was irresistible.

Only that her eyes shone with Light that she didn't have to hide anymore.

If she'd had a thought amid her fumbling passion, Jinx might've found it funny how far she'd come; from barely even caring what the girl looked like, when she housed such glorious Shiny inside her, to now, where every quirk of her lips, every glance of her brilliant eyes, every tickle of her fragrant hair, was carved deep into Jinx's heart.

Jinx's breath, quick and excited, drowned out all the other voices in her head. She writhed against Lux, almost giddy, her hands shaking where they gripped her fingers or ran along her arms, her shoulders, her back...

Lux shuddered as Jinx pressed her into the cold industrial wall. No luxury here, nothing like Pinkie's clean tiled shower recess and neatly organized bottles. Nothing but the press of skin to skin and the heat of Lux's body and the way she fit so tightly to Jinx and the way her mouth so eagerly lashed at Jinx's own.

Jinx growled into her kiss and let her hands climb until she suddenly scented-

-blood.

"Aah! C-careful...my shoulder..."

Jinx stopped and tensed. They'd stripped the bandage before the shower, but there was the scabbed wound from Warwick's claw; only a nick, really, nothing compared to what it could've been, but still dark and angry. Leaking a little, and not a good color.

Claws are metal. But he runs on all fours. Through the Sump, wherever else he wants. Not so sterile as Doc's lab, heh ...

Jinx bit her lip. The memory of Warwick bounding out of the smog crawled into her thoughts. Suddenly, she hated the sight of that ugly half-moon gash with its faintly bitter smell that would have never marred her Lux if she hadn't been with Jinx...

"I can take care of it, for you," she said, "Y'really don't want that infected, down here."

Lux looked from under her lashes back at Jinx. She furrowed her brow. She watched Jinx bit into her lip a little harder, letting her canine draw blood.

"...will it...be like Ekko...?"

Jinx shook her head.

"Nah, Blondie. I had to put a lot into him. Kinda wiped me out, yanno. This is just a lil' cut, couple drops should do it."

She drew her fingertip along her lip. It came away red.

Lux looked at it and worked her jaw silently.

"If you're certain."

Jinx looked at the crimson smear on her fingertip.

"Doc told me once that my shimmie is like an experimental strain he made. It's like, more potent than the street stuff, but more stable, less weird mutations and less addictive and stuff."