Chapter 11

Horseman of Conquest, Joan

It was a typical day for Joan. Her corner of the afterlife was the second most chaotic after Ares, right next door to his land. With conquest, her job was to ensure that divine and unlawful conquests were well represented in the afterlife. She worked closely with both Famine and Ares when he was still with them. She was also in charge of taming any of the citizens of the afterlife who got a little too big for their britches or acting as what the living realm would call 'a judge' in the afterlife. Whatever she said was final in this world, per the power Beelzebub had bestowed upon her.

Most days, she spent time in her armory, practicing her swordsmanship skills. She was constantly training; she always wanted an edge on her opponent, no matter who that may be. Her armory was a modest building outside her home, designed after what humans call 'barns' nowadays. It was wood-paneled; there was an archery range just outside the armory, and there were always lessons going on inside. Plenty of people chose to learn to fight in the afterlife, and Joan had found teachers she trusted not to soil her name working for her. Weapons were lining the walls, anything anyone could think of that took skill to wield. She was not a fan of guns; they were not popularized in her time, and she preferred combat that was much more up close and personal over ranged attacks, anyway. The archery range was very popular, but not her style.

On this particular day, she had chosen to oversee a class on fencing, although it looked different than mortal fencing. The safety precautions they took in the mortal realm did not exist here, and while people still used sabres, they did not wear any ridiculous suits or helmets that could hinder their movement or sight. Besides, the worst that could happen in a sport where people wield swords at each other was death. Already dead, the people here did not have to worry about that.

"Keep up the good work class!" Joan called out, and she was met with benevolent smiles. A fan favorite in the afterlife, Joan was used to being renowned here. When most discover that Joan of Arc is parading around in the afterlife, they are beside themselves with curiosity and excitement. Having enough interaction with others for the day, she exited the armory. As she did, she nearly collided with another.

Adelaide

"Oh, hello!" Adelaide said, pulling away quickly and distancing herself from Joan. "I am so sorry about that; my head was not here," she started apologizing profusely.

Joan put her hand up, smiling. Adelaide could see the crinkle in her eyes and took a deep breath. The crinkle was Joan's tell if it was a genuine smile. "Don't worry about it, Addy. What brings you by?" she asked.

Adelaide paused, looking at Joan. "I thought we were continuing our practice?"

Joan nodded, shaking her head, bopping herself on her head lightly, her fingers splayed. "Silly me, I must have forgotten. Of course, let us continue with your training." Adelaide nodded in return and admired the woman. She moved with such grace and seemed so regal and unreal. But she had been so kind to her, and Adelaide would hope she could even call her her friend.

"All right!" Adelaide grinned and followed Joan back into the armory. She watched the classes that were already going on. The ones that appeared to be the trainers moved so steadfastly. They were calm, in control, and moving at lightning speed, and Adelaide could barely track their movements. She hoped she could only be half as fast as some of these trainers, and learn the same power they wielded.

With sabres in hand, the two girls took turns advancing on the training mat, or the piste for fencing. Adelaide stayed on the defensive when Joan took her turn to lunge, counter-parrying Joan's blade successfully away.

"Good! Again!" Joan called out, lunging back at her without giving her a moment to stop and think. One day after their training, Joan told Adelaide that she wanted these movements, these skills, to be second nature, to react without hesitation. Adelaide swung her sabre to counter-parry again but came in too short. She felt a piercing pain in her left side, which healed as fast as it appeared. Joan had broken through Adelaide's defenses and recovered quickly to be ready again. Rather than waiting to be on the defensive side, Adelaide lunged at Joan this time, and the two engaged in a heated match with many onlookers. To the naked eye, the match might look violent. However, when one is dead, they are likely to give it their all in a match. Adelaide appreciated that Joan refused to go soft on her from day one. After teaching her the essentials, she engaged instantly in the match, forcing Adelaide into a corner, and she had to pull herself out of it, fighting past Joan.