Chapter 27

Horseman of Death, Letum

"What. Did. You. Do?" Letum was at Beelzebub's home, the latter sprawled out on one of his sofas, the back of his hand covering his eyes. Letum was standing behind him, hitting Beelzebub with a pillow after he said each word. "Adelaide is not responding to anyone, and no one has seen her in a week!"

Beelzebub groaned, rolled over, facing the back of the couch, and buried his face into the couch. "I kissed her," he mumbled into the sofa.

"Can you act like the old-ass adult you are and look at me when speaking?" Letum said. He couldn't recall the last time he had seen the Prince this way.

Beelzebub threw the pillow at Letum and turned around. "I kissed her, damnit. Are you happy now?"

Letum just looked at Beelzebub, a little stunned. "What, are you a terrible kisser? I don't understand how kissing leads to completely isolating herself."

Beelzebub groaned again. He relayed the events that occurred to Letum. He finished out with, "I kissed her, then told her we couldn't ever be together."

Letum's eyes widened. "Well, that'll fucking do it. Are you serious, dude? Why did you do that? Don't you love her?"

Beelzebub nodded. "That's why I had to tell her no."

Letum sat down on the couch across from the Prince, bewildered. He relaxed on the sofa, arms lying across the back of it. "I don't think I will ever understand you. Wouldn't you want happiness, even if it was for such a short time? Well, according to you anyway," he grumbled the last bit. "Time seems to go on forever here, and the end is nowhere in sight for the rest of us. Hell, it'll be at least a millennia before she's gone! Instead, you're selfish, depriving yourself and her of true happiness. I mean, I have never seen you like this over a girl, man, or anyone, for that matter."

Beelzebub glared over at Letum. "I have my reasons."

"Yeah, and they're fucking dumb reasons," Letum said. He lifted his hand, deep purple magic swirling around his hand. He reached out, sending a small burst of magic at Beelzebub. Beelzebub immediately grabbed the magic, sending it back to Letum, who absorbed it. "Well, at least when you're moping, your reflexes are still fast."

Beelzebub snorted. "Shut up, dude; I don't need someone telling me what I already know. I know I'm being selfish, but... I've never been in love and experienced so many quandaries mortals face. I've never even... had sex," he said, burying his face into his hands, heat creeping to his face as he admitted that.

Letum's eyebrows shot up. "You know you can just fuck somebody; you don't need to love them. Many people here would line up to be your partner for that."

Beelzebub instantly stood up and raised his voice. "I don't want to just fuck someone; I want to be with someone... someone I care about," he admitted sheepishly, quieting at the end. "I don't want it to be just fucking. I've watched that plenty of times, and people always seem to regret that."

Letum nodded. "You wouldn't be entirely wrong about that; I think many people regret something like that that they didn't at the moment. But you have the opportunity to be with someone that you do care about." He paused, looking up at Beelzebub, who was still standing. "Someone you care about a lot."

Beelzebub sighed, collapsing back into the couch, his momentum gone. "I fucked that up, though. She won't want me now. Now that I told her we can never be together."

"That's a good point," Letum said, his finger on his chin. "Hmm. Well, at the very least, you need to apologize so we can focus on the bigger picture. She is the one who has been uncovering our only clue so far as to where Joan and Aamon went."