The Feelings

Author's Note: As I'm writing this (February 2024), Garrick's signet is not revealed in Iron Flame. For this story, I followed my theory about Garrick's signet which is Near Sight (opposite of Liam's Far Sight). Near sight can easily recognize emotion changes, whatever emotion someone displays Garrick will pick up. This also relates to his dragon (Chradh) who is able to locate certain objects and is sensitive to runes. Garrick uses this to quickly learn who is trustworthy and gain information about people's true intentions making him a strong asset and an exceptional fighter.

 < Garrick Tavis >

The sun from the morning was nowhere to be found and the clouds were looking seriously ominous today. Temperamental like this guy, I glanced over at Xaden and his expressionless face from the hard floor of the outdoor sparring field. Something was definitely on his mind. My first guess would be Violet related.

I welcomed the breeze against my shirtless, overheating body as my mind wandered off to what Lei was up to. Her smile from the morning flashed across my mind and I exhaled. Maybe it was her hair? I knew that most female riders kept their hair short, braided, or tied up to keep it from getting caught, but Lei's ponytail was long enough and always swaying from side to side, like it was tempting me to grab. Oh gods, I shouldn't have thought that.

From the side, Xaden threw a clean towel that landed directly on my face, dragging me out of my thoughts. Right, this was supposed to be a quick break before another set. "Thanks," I muttered as I grabbed it and wiped the dripping sweat across my face.

"Riorson!" A familiar voice called out, full of disgust with each syllable. Tightening my core, I peeled my upper body off the mat and saw that bitch from last night. Fuck, what was his name again?

Lei's sharp, venomous tone saying his name last night replayed in my mind. "Move along, Pratt."

Oh yeah, Pratt.

I looked up to see Xaden turned towards him with a blank face across the field. He didn't answer, he just stared. Then a second later, Xaden looked over at me and was that worry that just flashed across his face? Pressing his lips together, he looked towards Pratt's direction again.

Did Xaden know Pratt? Maybe he was an old friend? I could see the gears turning in his head staring at the blonde boy.

"Where the fuck were you last night?" Pratt shouted.

I scoffed and shouted back at him. He didn't even have the courage to walk closer to us. "Damn, Pratt. I don't think you wanted an audience to witness your ass getting whooped."

"I would keep your thoughts to yourself if I were you," Pratt said my name in the same disgust he did with Xaden's. "Your days at Samara are getting shorter with each word." What the fuck was his deal?

Before I could quip back, Pratt looked directly at me. "Oh and leave Lei alone. She isn't into dirty traitors like you two." Pratt walked off with his "friends" trailing behind him. Two of the guys behind him moved with uncomfort and I could immediately identify they were the same boys from last night.

"Watch your back, Garrick. He plays dirty." Xaden replied. From the tone of his voice I knew that it wasn't a guess, it was a statement.

"Good, I like it dirty anyways." I muttered back, my body making a dense thud against the hard floor surface as I dropped in exhaustion. 

✦ ✦ ✦

Xaden and I managed to keep the score even until the very end. Maybe it was the years of training we did together and how we knew each other better than we knew ourselves? Every move I threw at the guy, he managed to block. Thanks to my signet I was able to see the way his eyes moved before a punch or a jab and countered each step. But, he was still able to get a good punch on my jaw right when my mind was starting to wander off.