Chapter 1: Picking Up Where We Left Off

You were walking through Vale, looking at people walking and talking as if nothing happened. But, they all know what happened. All of Remnant found out about an immortal enemy that they had to fight.

"That was a long ass four years," you said. "Well, at least things have gotten less stressful. To some extent."

You walked to the edge of Vale and entered your family estate. Pressing a button on your mask, you opened the front door.

"Neo, baby, I'm home."

You heard nothing but silence, but kept on walking. You soon entered your office and pressed a button on your desk, activating several holographic screens that display the news, or several camera monitors across Vale.

You sat down and looked at the monitors, but kept the volume low. You sat still for a few minutes before noticing something sneaking up behind you. They swung an umbrella, but you blocked it and pulled it toward yourself, causing the person holding the umbrella to fall onto your lap, revealed themselves as a girl with multi-colored eyes and hair.

"Hello, Neo. I hope your day went as well as mine."

Neo smiled and took off your mask, revealing your left eye to be clouded.

"Hey, remember that hill we went to while we were kids?"

Neo nodded.

"It's still there, and there was never any construction done on it. Want to visit it? For old time's sake."

Neo thought for a second before nodding, then she got off of your lap and out of the estate to the hill, where you saw a good view of the city.

"I remember us just laying on the ground for hours watching the sky, either watching clouds or seeing the stars. To think we'd finally come back here after all those years. After trying to keep things together or hunting down others."

Neo started to look just a little bit sad.

"Who'd expect that we'd end up in a world that was supposed to be a children's fairy tale? And we go through all that crazy crap and end up having a tree see into our souls. It was less creepy than it sounds."

Neo remained silent.

"I wonder what Roman would say about all of this. I wonder what your thoughts are."

Neo looked at you.

"Can I tell you something? Every year, I wish I could hear your voice."

She looked at you with curiosity.

"I always wanted to know what your voice sounds like. Or rather, I just want to hear it either way."

After a minute of silence...

Neo: "Really?"

You widened your eyes and gained a look of joy.

"You can talk?!"

Neo: "How does my voice sound?"

"It sounds very warm."

Neo: "I'm... I'm glad."

You and Neo continued looking at the stars in the sky.