Chapter 4: Poisoned

Town of Mandalore
Obi Wan Kenobi
_>_<_>_<_>_<_>_<_>_<_>_<_>_<_>_<_>_>

Obi Wan watched as the new squads started to patrol the area. He dipped his head in respect to one who was passing by. He got off the crate he was sitting on and headed towards the mayor's office. He saw Cody talking one of the men. Their faces looked disgruntled.

" Cody." Obi Wan called. " Waxer. "

" Sheriff." Cody said respectfully."

" I'm not sheriff anymore I'm afraid." Obi Wan said pointing to his chest.

" Sheriff or not," Waxer said getting up from the chair he sat on, " We still consider you one. I know one day you'll have your title back." Obi Wan smiled. " Thank you, Waxer."

" What is it that you need? " Cody asked.

" I'm headed over to Mayor Kryze's office. Did you receive word from any comrades?" Obi Wan looked around. " I've received nothing for the last week."

" I got word from Rex." Cody said. " It's best if we talk about this in the mayor's office. Just in case." He said gesturing to the patrols that passed them. Obi Wan nodded and headed to the building.

*****

Obi Wan knocked on the door.

A faint, "Come in." Answered his knock.

" Lady Kryze." Obi Wan said coming in. Cody, Waxer, and Boils following him from behind.

" Sheriff Kenobi." Satine said getting up. " What seems to be the matter?" Obi Wan used his hands to gesture to her to sit back down. He sat down on the chair on the other side of her desk. Cody taking the next seat. Boils found a chair near a bookshelf. Near were Satine sat.

" I haven't had any word from the surrounding towns. I take it you didn't get any either?" Obi Wan said taking his hat off and placing it on his lap.

Satine thought a moment. " No, no I have not."

" Cody said he received something."

Satine raised her eyebrow. " From whom Cody? How long ago was it?"

" It was from Rex. He works alongside Sheriff's Skywalker and Tano. It was just this morning."  Cody said. Refreshing her just in case. He then fished out a piece of paper from his pocket. " Rex told me to write it all down" he said clearing his throat."  Cody added. He read:

Hey Cody, it's Rex. For some reason the telephone is have some complications. Skywalker, and Mayor Amidala have been trying to get a hold of Mandalore for some time now. I decided to try to call. I'm glad you picked up. Some of my men have been able to sneak into the Governor's office. Skywalker and Mayor Amidala, Tano and I have uncovered many things. But I'll brief you with the main ones. These papers consist of a plan the Governor has been working on for years now. As he told us at the Gathering about a week ago. They read that there is to be a higher level of authority over all the cities. Apparently, the authority that is to take place is for the ' people's good'. It doesn't sound like that. It sounds oppressive. It seems like the laws are becoming stricter.  Example would be that you'd have to have identification papers on hand with you at all times. You also need to mention why you are going and how long you'll be and the person that you are visiting needs to be notified in advance. All that bantha fodder! If you don't do that or mention your business, you're not permitted to leave your town.  And the reinforcements are well, we haven't figured out that bit yet. And get this, we will no longer be called the Grand Republic, but the Grand Empire. I've got to go know. It's busy. Spread the flame. Rex out.

Cody finished and handed Satine the letter. She re-read the letter again.

" I will admit, Skywalker and Mayor Amidala have their ways. I don't even want to imagine who they got some men to go in and fumble through Palpatine's papers."