Part 21

"Are you sure you're not coming?"

"Asking it for the tenth time won't change my answer, Mimi..."

Umeed answered monotonously, without looking up as she furiously typed on her laptop, sitting in the middle of a mess of papers and files, scattered all over the room.

Mimi heaved a huge sigh and settled on the sofa beside her, looking at her disheveled state.

Umeed was a mess. Her tangled hair tied up in a bun with glasses perched up on her nose and that damned frown that wasn't leaving her face at any cost was giving her a headache now. Mimi was unable to understand the problem, she knew Umeed was stressed about the consequences of the accident that had landed Aziz Uncle and his business in hot waters but there was much more to Umeed's stress than she was leading on.

"Come on, Umeed! It's almost a week to this hide and seek now. I thought you guys would've sorted out things by now. Lekin tum log tou...." She left her sentence midway, frustrated with the situation.

"Bhai is getting discharged today...tumhe chalna chahiye"

"I have to stay with Uncle, he's not well. Aur bank bhi jaana hai..."

Umeed sighed, not reacted to any word of Mimi's rant. It wasn't an excuse though, ever since the incident he hasn't been the same and with all the legal issues and paperwork, Umeed had no time to think about anything else. And well, she didn't want to.

"And its not like mere chalne se koi bohot farq parega..." She mumbled to herself.

"Dimagh sahi hai? Woh din mein 10 dafa poochte hain tumhara. It's hard to keep him in place just because he wants to see you!"

She answered back as if it was obvious, hearing what she said.

Umeed sighed and her fingers halted the assault on the laptop. It had been 5 days since the last time they saw each other, when he asked her to leave as if her presence was hurting him.

Yes, she was counting.

Even though he was under the effect of anasthesia, every word he uttered was like a dagger through her heart.

"Yeah..." she scoffed, "I'm not so sure about that..."

"What is that supposed to mean now?" Mimi crossed her arms.

"He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to see me"

Umeed answered in a deceptively calm voice, still staring hard at the screen.

"Why?"

Umeed didn't answer. Mimi pulled the laptop out of her grip and shut the lid before Umeed could snatch it back.

"Kia hua hai?" Mimi raised her eyebrow, making Umeed heave a sigh as she looked down.

"I said some pretty mean things last time...before the incident...and before that"

She mumbled, remembering all the times she had been downright cruel to him, just because she wanted to push him away.

"Tou? Aisa bhi kia keh diya hoga tumne. It's Farjaad bhai we're talking about, you know him. Dramey kar rahe honge bas..." Mimi rolled her eyes, underplaying the entire situation.

"Nahi Mimi. Please samjho..." Umeed requested, taking her laptop back and getting back to work.

"And if he's that uninterested in seeing you then why does he ask about you everyday?" Mimi raised her eyebrows, challenging her.

Umeed's actions halted at those words for a mere second before she resumed her work as if they didn't bother her, making Mimi sigh at her stubborn best friend.