[6]

(A/N: Chapter 6 has already been published on scrollstack, for early access to it you have to follow me on my scrollstack account.The link to the account is in my wattpad bio and instagram bio.)

"I'm so sorry," Yahvi exclaimed, bending down to help the young lady. "Are you alright? Shall I help you inside?" Sympathy radiated from her voice, genuine concern etched on her face.

"Don't pretend like you care," the girl yelled, her frustration evident. "Just laugh it off if you want to." She glared at Yahvi with a mix of anger and resentment.

"Hey, I didn't mean to--"

"Stop showing sympathy... I hate fake emotions!" The girl cut her off sharply. "Go away!" She attempted to push Yahvi away but, in the process, almost lost her own balance.

Yahvi, quick on her feet, grabbed the girl's hands, preventing her from falling further. The tense exchange softened momentarily as Yahvi steadied the young girl.

"Vanshi!" A woman's voice rang out, and a concerned mother rushed towards them.

"Bachcha! Are you okay? Mumma is here," she reassured, her motherly instinct kicking in.

Watching the tender interaction between the mother and daughter, a pang of envy gripped Yahvi.

She wished she could experience such care and concern from a loving mother. A sense of longing lingered in her eyes as she turned to leave.

However, the woman from earlier called out to her.

"Beta!" she exclaimed, using a term of endearment that Yahvi couldn't fathom being directed at her.

Suddenly, a gentle hand rested on Yahvi's shoulder, prompting her to slowly turn around, suppressing her emotions. "Are you alright? I saw you fall earlier as well... don't mind my daughter; she gets a little impulsive," the lady explained.

"I'm sorry, Aunty... I didn't mean to--"

"Of course, child. I know it wasn't on purpose... thanks for helping her, though." The lady smiled, patting Yahvi's head, and walked away, leaving Yahvi with an unexpected rush of happiness.

...

In the restaurant, Aarav and Shailee sat in silence, the air thick with tension.

Shailee fidgeted with her napkin, her thoughts swirling in her mind like a turbulent storm.

Aarav cleared his throat nervously, searching for the right words to break the suffocating silence.

"Thanks for coming over for lunch, babe," Aarav finally managed to utter, his voice strained with uncertainty. Shailee responded with a faint smile, her eyes betraying the turmoil within.

Then, like a bolt from the blue, Shailee's question pierced the quietude of the moment, catching Aarav off guard. His eyes widened in shock as her words hung heavy in the air.

"When will you ask me out, Aarav?" Shailee's voice was tinged with a mixture of frustration and longing, her patience wearing thin.

Aarav's mind raced, scrambling to find an explanation. "That day, during the New Year party... I wanted to propose, but..." he trailed off, his voice trailing into uncertainty.

"But you vanished instead," Shailee finished his sentence, her frustration bubbling to the surface.

As Shailee's agitation grew, she slammed her fork and spoon against the plate, the sound echoing in the empty space.