[9]

(A/N: Chapter 9 has already been published on scrollstack, for early access to it you have to follow me on my scrollstack account.The link to the account is in my wattpad bio and instagram bio.)

As Shailee stepped through the threshold of her home, the weight of her secret rendezvous with Sid hung heavy in the air. She knew the moment she faced her mother, the interrogation would begin.

"Were you out with Aarav?" Her mother's voice sliced through the tension, her eyes keen and piercing.

Shailee's breath caught in her throat, her heart pounding against her ribcage. She tried to muster the courage to lie convincingly. "Y-Yes, Maa," she stammered, attempting to maintain a facade of composure.

"Did he finally propose to you?" Damini's tone was expectant, her gaze searching Shailee's face for any sign of confirmation.

"N-Not yet," Shailee faltered, her words barely audible as she struggled to conceal her unease.

Her mother's suspicion only seemed to intensify. "You spent the night with him?" There was accusation laced in her words, a hint of disappointment simmering beneath the surface.

"I-I—" Shailee's voice trailed off, her mind racing for a suitable excuse, but before she could utter another word, Damini closed the distance between them with swift determination.

In an instant, the crack of a slap echoed through the room as Damini's hand connected with Shailee's cheek, leaving a stinging mark in its wake.

"You useless child," she spat, her voice tinged with fury. "Didn't I tell you how important Aarav is to us and your career?"

The tears welled up in Shailee's eyes, a mixture of pain and frustration threatening to spill over. "Y-Yes, Maa," she whispered, her voice trembling with emotion.

With a menacing glare, Damini continued, her words dripping with disdain. "Marrying him will save us from the debt we have. Is this how I have raised you? Can't even get a single thing straight."

Shailee's resolve wavered under the weight of her mother's scorn, her heart heavy with guilt and shame. "I-I'm sorry, Maa," she choked out, her voice barely above a whisper.

As Damini delivered her final warning, Shailee felt a shiver of fear course through her veins. "If you meet that Sid again, I'll make sure his lifeless body also can't be found," her mother threatened, her words carrying a chilling promise of retribution.

With tears streaming down her cheeks, Shailee turned and fled to her room, the door slamming shut behind her with a resounding thud.

Alone in the darkness, she sank to her knees, her mind consumed by the weight of her mother's expectations and the dire consequences of her forbidden love.

"I have to marry Aarav," she whispered to herself, her voice trembling with resolve. "I will make you propose to me soon." And with that solemn vow, Shailee closed her eyes, her heart heavy with the burden of her secret desires and the sacrifices she knew she must make to appease her mother's demands.

...

Outside the café, Yahvi stood with her arms tightly crossed over her chest, her expression a mix of frustration and hurt.

She watched as Aarav, oblivious to her gaze, stood by the pedestrian crossing, waiting for the traffic light to change.

Refusing to acknowledge him any further, Yahvi turned away, pretending to be engrossed in her phone.