Chapter 5: Unbroken Bonds

I never knew you were the someone waiting for me. 

The next morning, sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow in the cozy home of Na Mi-hi and Hamin

The next morning, sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow in the cozy home of Na Mi-hi and Hamin. Mi-hi, dressed in her motherly attire, her hair neatly secured in a pretty bun, adjusted her spectacles as she moved about the house. The chill in the air hinted at the approaching winter.

As Mi-hi attempted to catch Hamin, the mischievous little boy giggled and darted around the living room butt naked. "No bath, Mama! Too chilly!" he protested, his words slightly muffled by the lisp that added an adorable touch to his speech.

With a playful grin, Mi-hi managed to scoop him up in her arms. "Oh, Hamin, we can't skip the bath. It'll be quick, I promise. And you get to play with your favorite duckies in the warm water!"

Hamin pouted, but the mention of his beloved rubber duckies seemed to sway him. "Duckies? Okay, Mama," he agreed, his voice still carrying that endearing lisp.

After a swift bath filled with splashes and quacking sounds, Hamin emerged, now clad in his favorite dinosaur-patterned pajamas. Mi-hi skillfully got him dressed for the day, his small fingers fumbling with the buttons as he proudly proclaimed, "I do it, Mama!"

With Hamin occupied in his corner, surrounded by storybooks, Mi-hi headed to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. The aroma of pancakes and the sizzle of bacon filled the air. She hummed a gentle tune, occasionally glancing at Hamin who was immersed in his colorful world of stories.

"Mama, wook at dis book!" Hamin called out, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

Mi-hi approached, her apron adorned with flour. "What's the story about, sweetheart?"

Hamin flipped through the pages, his tiny finger pointing at illustrations. "Dere's a dragon, Mama! And he fwy in da sky!"

"That sounds like a fascinating story, Hamin," Mi-hi said, tousling his hair affectionately.

As the delicious scent of breakfast wafted through the house, Mi-hi packed their lunches, making sure to include Hamin's favorite snacks. "Almost ready for breakfast, my little explorer!"

Hamin nodded, still absorbed in his books. "Okay, Mama. But I wove dis story!"

Mi-hi's heart sank as the familiar notification flashed on her phone screen, announcing Sung Ho's impending arrival to pick up Hamin for the weekend. It was a ritual she had grown accustomed to, one that never failed to fill her with a sense of dread and anxiety.

With a heavy heart, Mi-hi made her way to the door, steeling herself for the inevitable confrontation with her estranged husband. As she swung the door open, Sung Ho's imposing figure loomed before her, his presence casting a dark shadow over the threshold.

"Where's Hamin?" Sung Ho demanded, his voice laced with an unmistakable edge of hostility.

Mi-hi forced a tight smile, though her insides churned with apprehension. "He's just finishing up his breakfast. Please, come in and wait," she replied, gesturing for Sung Ho to enter.