SEE YOU ON THE FLIPSIDE // Chapter 3

__________________

"Medkit!" Subspace whipped his head over to his lap partner, who sat at a desk near him.

They had been working in this room all day; Medkit couldn't even recall if it was night or day. He was so absorbed in his work that he couldn't even hear Subspace calling for him. Subspace appeared behind him with an eager look on his face. Medkit shrieked at the sudden touch on his shoulder and saw Subspace leaning into him with his chin. The pink demon gave him a toothy grin, and Medkit, shaken up by the scare, just pushed his glasses back up his nose.

"What? What is it?" Medkit huffed, annoyed about being disturbed while he was reading.

Subspace's free hand, which wasn't leaning on a cane, revealed a bright object radiating so much energy. Medkit wondered if it could have burnt through Subspace's glove. His mouth gaped as he stared with wide eyes at the crystal.

"I did it," Subspace spoke, his toothy smile never leaving his face as he looked between their creation and Medkit's expression.

"You did it!" Medkit had never felt this happy; he used his whole chest to let out a laugh, one of relief and happiness mixed into it.

Subspace put the crystal gently on the table and was brought into a lung-squeezing hug by Medkit, "Holyshit! We're going down in Blackrock's history. We made it Subspace! Me and you!" Subspace laughed along with Medkit's enthusiasm and used his free hand to hug him back. Medkit could swear he was crying. His life's work, put into one tiny little device. A crystal that contained nothing short of pure concentrated magic. The fact that it could keep itself together without exploding meant that it worked.
Soon enough, they could change lives simply with one fragment of this device.

They stayed in that hug for a long time before Subspace finally pulled away, needing to sit down. Medkit wiped his tears away and stared at the little glowing crystal.

"It's even more amazing than I thought; I can just feel the magic radiating off it," Medkit spoke in awe, glancing over to his partner, who had the same expression. But instead of staring at the crystal, he was looking directly at Medkit.

____________

It had been weeks since he had arrived at the lost temple. These dreams hadn't let up memories, horrors, fantasies. Blackrock found a way to haunt him even when he was at peace.

The smell of Bacon filled his nostrils, and he sat up, still spinning from the dream. Medkit slipped a shirt over his body and stepped out of bed, stretching before groggily walking down the hallway into the living room. If Sword wasn't training, he had been making breakfast for him, Medkit, and sometimes Rocket if he stayed over the night before. Which was often.

"Good morning!" Sword hummed; he seemed in a remarkably chipper mood today. It usually meant a headache for Medkit, but he didn't mind.

Medkit walked past him to go for the coffee pot, pouring himself a glass and blowing on the top of the brown liquid as it was too hot for him to drink.

"What's got you in a good mood?" Medkit inquired. Turning his tired gaze to Sword.

Sword gave him a grin, beaming at the question. "Remember when I told you Rocket wanted to go to the Phestival tonight?"

"No."

Sword's expression faltered, and he hesitated, thinking about his words. "Rocket wanted to go to the Phestival with me, and he asked me out as friends, and I was just thinking about it."

He had forgotten about his bacon, and when it started to sizzle at him, out of panic, he quickly placed it onto the plate of eggs, almost flinging the poor piece off the turner.