Old Friends // Chapter 7

"You're an extraordinary kid. You know that, Medkit?" A demon with wide antler-like horns and a deep voice spoke.

His hand rested on Medkit's head and scrunched up his hair.

"Really?"

"Yes, I think your little device can change a life. I mean, it's just genius! But I'd only expect the best from my favourite student."

Medkit smiled and brushed his hair behind his ear. He flipped through his notebook to look at all the notes he had previously written down.

"So you're going to talk to your supervisors about it?" Medkit chirped.

"Of course. Just you wait 'kit. You're gonna be on every billboard and magazine in Blackrock."

Medkit laughed at that.

"That'd be cool, but I don't think I'd like all the attention," Medkit smiled.

"Then you'd better learn to, son."

The man walked him back to his classroom with a hand on his back.

Anticipation was the only thing he remembered feeling from the coming weeks. The first step was pitching the idea. Next was the approval of the project. Once he had gotten permission to go on with the project, he was ecstatic. He was one step closer to pushing Blackrock and the entirety of Inpherno in the right direction.

He walked into his shiny new laboratory. Everything from floor to ceiling was as amazing as he had imagined. It was his. The only issue was that somebody was sitting at one of the desks. His desks. It was a smaller boy, one who looked younger than him. The most noticeable of his features was his jaw. It was crooked and made his sharp bottom teeth stick out.

"Hello, lab partner!" the boy grinned at him.

Lab partner? He wasn't informed of this.

"Who are you?" Medkit grumbled.

"Subspace Tripmine. I'm an engineer. I worked on watercraft and auxiliary equipment for a bit, but then they said I had a new project to work on, and now I'm here."

The boy stood up to shake his hand. He needed a cane to keep himself on his own two feet.

It wasn't uncommon for scientists and engineers to be moved around often. He just didn't understand why it had to be his project.

"Nobody told me I had a lab partner for this. It's my project."

Subspace's face fell.

"I didn't choose to be put here. It's where I was assigned. If I had a choice, I'd still be working on submarines." Subspace's tone did a One-eighty, now cold and aggressive.

He didn't want to start arguing with him.

"I'm Medkit," Medkit spoke cautiously.

He finally shook Subspace's hand in a gentle motion. Which made Subspace's face light up again.

Medkit walked over to the desk, which was beside Subspace's. He sat down on the rickety old rolling chair. Medkit opened the little messenger bag that slung over his shoulders and laid down all the papers on the table.

"Amazing drawings, Meddy," Subspace smirked sarcastically. The boy had been leaning over to peek at his papers.

"I'm a scientist, not an artist! And don't call me that. It makes me sound like I'm ten," Medkit's face turned red as he put his hand over his drawings to cover them.

"Good thing we're lab partners now then, eh? I can draw more than scribbles on a sheet," the boy spun enthusiastically in his chair and rolled back over to his desk.