3.24 Anfractuosity

Dhana pushed herself up from the cold, concrete floor, her arms giving way to the weight of her body

Dhana pushed herself up from the cold, concrete floor, her arms giving way to the weight of her body. I wrapped my arms around her in an instant, my brows furrowing as I steadied her trembling form. I struggled to mask my concern, my voice laced with worry, "Dhana, you shouldn't push yourself," I said softly, running my hand through her hair as she leaned against me, "You need to rest, at least for a little while longer."

As soon as the words had left my mouth, Dhana's gaze hardened, her resolve flickering much like the lantern outside her cell, "I can't rest. There are lives are hanging in the balance."

Confusion gripped me as I searched her eyes for answers, "What do you mean? What is it that you need to do so desperately that you are unable to take five minutes to gather your strength?" I asked, my voice tinged with uncertainty.

Dhana's frustration boiled to the surface, her patience wearing thin. "Think about what's happening outside these walls, Arsenio," she snapped, her words laced with urgency. "If I don't act countless more people will suffer."

I was struggling to comprehend the gravity of Dhana's words, my eyes narrowing as she rose to her feet, "But how can your involvement possibly save lives?" I questioned, my voice tinged with doubt. It wasn't as though I had any reason to believe Dhana would say any of this without proper reason, but without a clear explanation, I didn't necessarily want to allow her to put herself in harm's way for nothing.

But Dhana doesn't pause to explain further. Instead, she steps away from me, determination guiding her steps as she follows Thalia's swift strides through the dimly lit hallways. As they emerged into the dimly lit hallway, Dhana's steps faltered for a moment, her hand reaching out to steady herself against the rough, stone wall. Before I could even consider holding her up once more, she bounds down the corridor, overtaking Thalia in a swift movement.

As we moved through the labyrinthine corridors and I scanned our surroundings warily, I couldn't help but voice my concerns. "How do you know where we're going?" I inquired, my voice tinged with dread, knowing whatever answer I received, I was unlikely to enjoy it.

Dhana cast me a glance, a wry smile playing at the corners of her lips, "I was paraded out of my cell every single day," she replied, her tone failing to mask her tones of sadness. "I was marched upstairs to the main halls, as they're far too dignified to conduct torture in as lowly a place as their own dungeons. I know exactly what route to take that will get us where we need to be, without a single soul being able to interfere." The bitterness in her voice was palpable, a stark reminder of the pain she'd suffered through alone.

The weight of her words hung heavy on my shoulders as I realised exactly why she'd need to walk these halls each day. I imagined each guard I'd ever known that looked at me just a tad wrong - like I was an embodiment of their fear, taking turns to harm her, knowing there would be no repercussions to the actions whilst she was imprisoned here.

Suddenly, Dhana came to a stop, her gaze fixed on a nondescript door at the end of the hallway. Pushing it open, she revealed a narrow staircase that spiralled upward into the darkness above. With a silent nod, Thalia followed Dhana into the darkness, the echoes of their footsteps bouncing off of the stone walls as they ascended. A sense of foreboding settled over me, enveloping me in a suffocating embrace as I swallowed deeply and followed behind. My mind buzzed with questions as I climbed, each step creating more doubts that gnawed at the fragile edges of my consciousness.