3.25 Viridity

"You found her, I see

"You found her, I see. Well done!" Malka's voice echoed through the room, crossing her legs as she surveyed the room before her, but undeniably, her gaze lingered on Dhana.

With a steadying breath, Dhana met Malka's gaze head-on, "I think we have some things to talk about, Malka," As the words left her lips, I watched as a flicker of hope fluttered over her face, a slight smile forming on her face as she looked down at my wife. But just as quickly as it appeared, Malka's expression hardened once more, that coy smile disappearing behind the mask of her resolve.

The weight of their history hung in the air and Dhana was struggling to stand tall in this large room, limping in front of a woman that we'd once called a friend - a woman we'd invited for dinner, gifted from the bottom of our pockets and received warm wishes from. A woman who had, on several occasions, lounged in our kitchen as she hid from her Central responsibilities. A woman who experienced far more of Dhana than I could imagine, creating shared memories that were casting hefty shadows between them.

Malka's response was blunt, the words biting at the edges as she struggled to speak through her contempt, "No, Dhana. Unfortunately, we no longer have any room to talk," The woman sat listlessly on her throne, draped over the arm as if she didn't have a care in the world. Despite this, she spoke with inarguable force, each syllable laden with disdain, "We've talked enough these past few days, and nothing spoken was worthwhile. The talking is done."

"Perhaps you're right, Malka," she conceded, her tone tinged with resignation.

Aubrey had taken this opportunity to evade the situation, slipping to the right side of the room. It was only then I noticed the other woman. In the dimly lit corner, she stood like an ethereal flame, her presence demanding attention, so much so, that it was a wonder we'd missed her up to this point.

The blonde woman exuded an air of allure; her hair was pulled up yet still cascaded down her back like golden waves. She was draped in a crimson dress that clung to her, emphasising a confidence that seemed to border on arrogance. A subtle smirk played on her lips, a hint of amusement that suggested a knowledge of the intricacies at work. She surveyed the room with a calculating gaze as Aubrey linked arms with her, her eyes meeting mine with a callousness I couldn't fathom before they'd darted down the hallway.

Just as they'd left, and Malka's gaze rested on the three of us, a deafening explosion erupted, sending shockwaves rippling through the room; one of the white and blue vases in the corner of the room tipping over and cascading to the floor with a resounding crash. Panic erupted in the chaos that followed, screams and shouts filling the air as people scrambled for their lives.

Malka's expression remained stoic, unaffected by the chaos erupting outside. "Unfortunately, I do have a crowd to address," she remarked coolly, her voice cutting through the clamour. "If there's nothing else you'd like to get off your chest then I believe we will need to put you back downstairs."

Dhana's jaw clenched, taking an unwavering step forward to face Malka's thinly veiled threat, "I have no intention of being locked away again, Malka," she retorted, her voice tinged with defiance.