7-8

Chapter 7

  Because you can eat watermelon after dinner, today's dinner is relatively simple. A large pot of steamed sorghum steamed buns, a pot of sweet potato rice, a pot of cabbage stewed with vermicelli, and a large bowl of soybeans are the dinner for the whole family.

  The sorghum steamed buns taste scratchy and the sweet potato rice is quite delicious. There are a lot of sweet potatoes in it. Jiang Yan can cook more than half of the bowl of rice by himself every time. But he doesn't like to eat vermicelli stewed with cabbage, nor does he like the taste of wowotou dipped in soybeans.

  If he had been such a picky eater in the past, his grandma would have couldn't help but talk about him. However, Jiang Yan was greatly wronged today. Seeing that he didn't want to eat, grandma didn't force him to eat. Instead, she cooked a bowl of eggs with sugar water for him to eat alone.

  Don't let other children in the family see the sugar-coated eggs, otherwise they will make a fuss and eat them together. We don't have so many eggs to eat together at home, so we have to eat them secretly every time we open a small stove for someone.

  In this era, a family in rural areas could raise up to five chickens. However, since there was no chicken feed in this era, the family members did not have enough food to eat, and there was no extra food to raise chickens.

  Therefore, each household can only raise two or three chickens at most. Two chickens can't lay many eggs every day. These eggs have to be used to visit relatives during the New Year and festivals, or they can be saved for pregnant women or children at home.

  At this time, the countryside was relatively poor, and women's production relied entirely on eggs, brown sugar, and meat to supplement their production. Meat is not easily available, so most of the time I have to rely on eggs and brown sugar.

  Grandma boiled eggs with sugar water for Jiang Yan and asked Jiang Yan to finish eating in the kitchen and then wiped his mouth before letting him go out. Jiang Yan patted his belly and smashed his mouth when he came out. His uncle was cutting watermelon with his second uncle in the yard.

  Now is the time when he needs nutrition to grow taller. As long as there is food, he will happily run over to join in the fun. In the past, he wanted to give the delicious food to his sisters, but later he realized that it would not be their turn if he didn't eat. After that, he was no longer polite to these people in the Jiang family.

  Even if he doesn't want to eat, he has to keep his share, because only if it comes into his hands can it be eaten by his sisters. If he doesn't eat, some people will take his share away. They don't care about the little ones at home. The girl's life and death.

  On weekdays, people in the countryside generally only eat two meals, and only three meals a day during busy farming and busy periods. This is a very torturous thing for the growing Jiang Huaicheng, Jiang Mili, and Jiang Yan.

  In order to feed her three children, Xu Jingqiu secretly cultivated a field in the mountains in the past few years and planted many vegetables and fruits there.

  This kind of thing must not be known to the family, otherwise not only will the things in the field be confiscated, but she might also be reported to the commune.

  Except for Jiang Yan, who is still young and ignorant, the other three of Sanfang all know about this land. Jiang Mili ran into the mountains every day, not only to practice her peerless martial arts, but also to help her mother take care of the land.

  Jiang Mili is not a person who knows how to farm. She always follows her mother's instructions every time she goes there. But I don't know whether it's because of her extraordinary talent, or because her mother is a master of farming, but the food grown on that land is always very delicious. Even the most common vegetable leaves seem to be greener than those grown by others.

  Every time Jiang Mili went to the mountains, he would bring a lot of food with him when he came back. There are vegetables, fruits, and some rare grains. Sometimes if she is lucky, she will hunt a rabbit or pick up a wild duck egg.

  These things cannot be discovered by her family. She will carefully hide them in a place, and then Jiang Huaicheng or Xu Jingqiu will simply handle them outside and take them home.

  Jiang Yan is the one who doesn't have to worry about anything and just opens his little mouth every day, waiting for food. No matter what food they give him, he will eat it as he is still growing. It was precisely because of this piece of land and Jiang Mili's hunting from time to time that Jiang Yan and the others were raised so well.

  Jiang Mili came back very late today. When she came back, everyone at home had finished eating, and the whole family was squatting in the yard eating watermelon. Nowadays, watermelons are exchanged for grains. A small bag of grains can be exchanged for many watermelons.

  This kind of exchange for watermelon is actually considered a business, but since it is difficult to eat some fruit in the countryside, people generally don't report this kind of thing. After all, if they report it, they won't have to eat it.

  Moreover, this kind of failure to make money is not serious, even if it is reported to the commune, it does not matter. It won't have much impact on the watermelon exchanger, but the one who reported it will offend the whole village.

  And since buying things in this era requires a receipt, sometimes you can't buy things even if you have money and a receipt, so country people have the habit of bartering for things in private.

  For example, use eggs for sugar, use other things for matches, etc. Therefore, this kind of exchange for watermelons in the countryside is not a rare thing or a big deal. Everyone will subconsciously turn a blind eye.

  The conditions in Uncle Jiang's family are better. The eldest son and daughter-in-law eat commercial food and supplement the family from time to time, so the life of the eldest son is a little easier.

  These days are the busy time for farming, and it is very hard to get up early and stay late every day. When he was working, he saw a melon seller exchanging watermelons in the reeds in front of the village, so he brought some grains in exchange for several large watermelons.

  The food and drink expenses at home are all in the hands of Grandma Jiang. Because Chen Hongting beat Jiang Yan today, not only did she not get to eat at night, but her watermelon was also hers.

  When Chen Hongting saw Jiang Xiaomai eating watermelon, she called the smelly girl in with a cold face. She felt that Jiang Xiaomai was heartless, and even though she had a watermelon, she didn't even think about her as a mother.