𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 6

~

𝙶𝙸𝙵𝚃 𝙾𝚁 𝙲𝚄𝚁𝚂𝙴?

{𝙳𝙴𝙺𝙰𝚈𝙻𝙸𝙽}

I was the first one up, lookin' over to see my beautiful wife still sound asleep as she nestled into my chest.

Smiling to myself, I kissed the crown of her head before making careful moves to get out of the bed. After doin' my morning routine, I went to the kitchen to make us some breakfast.

I was almost done with everything before seein' Mani enter the kitchen. I smiled before beckoning her over, holding her in my embrace after I plated the last of the food.

"You must've smelled these waffles..." I chuckled, goin' in for a kiss.

"I did," she giggled. "Everything smells good..."

I smiled before sneaking another kiss. We decided to eat on the kitchen island. While we're enjoyin' one another's presence, a knock on the door sounded.

I went over to answer it, being met by a lovely, middle-aged couple. They smiled at me before introducing themselves, me welcoming them inside so I could introduce them to Mani.

"Hey babe," I said, "these are our housekeepers. Gustavo and Kaure."

I then turned back to them, speaking Portuguese to introduce Mani to them.

"This is my wife, Normani."

Mani smiled their way, greeting them as she took another bite of her breakfast. The couple eyed her warily at first before smiling politely, getting right to work without saying another word. Mani and I exchanged a look as I went to sit beside her again.

"I..." Mani said, "...guess we just leave 'em to it..."

I chuckled.

"What was that all about?" I asked.

"They're afraid for you."

"For me? Why?"

"Because I have you here all alone."

"They know about you?"

"They suspect. They're native Ticuna. They have legends about blood-drinking demons who prey on humans."

We both chuckled before enjoying the rest of our morning. But it was short lived, Mani suddenly rushing to the bathroom and slamming the door shut. I rushed to the door, knocking and makin' sure she was okay. I've never known her to get sick.

"Mani?"

"Don't come in here! You don't need to see this!"

"In sickness and in health, remember?"

I heard her unlock the door after she flushed the toilet and ran the faucet. I slowly made my way in, holding her from behind to steady her as she leaned back into me, keeping her wet hand on her forehead.

"It must've been that breakfast sausage..." she said.

She looked at our reflection before her eyebrows furrowed.

"What's up?" I asked.

She turned around to face me, though her eyes were staring off somewhere else in deep thought.

"I don't get sick..." she said in realization, "...not since Bey turned me..."

She touched her stomach, her eyes growing wide before they finally met mine. She turned back to the mirror before lifting her shirt, the both of us gawking at the small enlargement of her stomach.