𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 10

~

𝚆𝙷𝙴𝙽 𝚃𝙷𝙸𝙽𝙶𝚂 𝚃𝙰𝙺𝙴 𝙰 𝚃𝚄𝚁𝙽

{𝙹𝙾𝚁𝙹𝙰}

"So," I said, giving a blood bag to Dr. Knowles, "that's the last of it?"

"Looks like it," she sighed, pouring more of D's blood into a glass. "Mani could deliver as early as tomorrow. If she's gonna have any chance at all, she'll need more blood."

"And you need to feed," Mrs. Knowles said, gently scolding her wife as she laid a gentle touch to her cheek. "You have to be your strongest for her. We should go tonight."

"You're the enemy, now," I reminded them. "Megan won't hesitate. Ya'll will be slaughtered."

"Tyler and John will come with us," she reassured.

"That won't be enough..."

"We have no choice, sweetie," Dr. Knowles said. "If there's anything we can do to save our babies, we have to try."

I looked between the both of them, shock washing over me.

"You'd..." I said, "...you'd risk your lives for him?"

"Absolutely," Mrs. Knowles smiled sympathetically. "D's a part of our family. He has been since we first met him."

I smiled beside myself in realization. A realization I'm ashamed I didn't come to until late.

"This really is a family..." I uttered, "...as strong as the one I was born into..."

I looked at them again, this time with determination.

"I know what to do," I said. "Just give me some time."

The couple nodded before I made my way out the house. I opened up my connection to Stella and Renée, hoping no one else had access to what they were thinking but me.

"Jorja!" Marcus said, rushing my way with Yara behind him. "They're coming..."

"I know," I responded.

"I think we need to phase," he said. "We can't protect ourselves like this."

"They'll see it as a threat," I told him before looking out onto the dark forest. "I wanna talk! It would be easier if I could hear ya'll, too!"

One by one, some of the members of the pack came out of the shadows in their human form – Darren, Justine, and a few others.

"This ain't your territory no more, sis," Darren sassed. "How's the new family workin' out?"

I rolled my eyes. He was, by far, the most annoying member of the pack.

"You done?" I asked.

"Are you comin' home, Jorja?" Justine asked, sincerity in her eyes.

"Not until I finish this," I said.

"What do you mean?"

After hearing back from my girls, I took a breath before speaking.

"...I want Meg to take Marcus and Yara back..."

"What!?" Yara exclaimed.

"Fuck that!" Marcus chimed in.

I looked back at the both of them in all seriousness, my expression willing them silent before I looked back to the other pack members.

"I want them safe, and I want this over. I need Meg to wait until Mani's been separated from the problem."