𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 1

~

𝙿𝚁𝙴-𝚆𝙴𝙳𝙳𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙳𝙰𝚈

{𝙽𝙾𝚁𝙼𝙰𝙽𝙸}

><
{𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍: "𝚌𝚘𝚏𝚏𝚎𝚎" 𝚋𝚢 𝙼𝚒𝚐𝚞𝚎𝚕}
><

I've been walking in heels since I was a teenager.

So, the fact that the shoes mama gifted me for tomorrow were making it hard for me to walk in was pissing me off.

They were shoes that her mother wore at her wedding. She got them resized for me. They were the prettiest shade of white with gold jewels gracing the back of it.

They were very charming. But walking in them was proving to be a hassle since they just got resized to fit my feet.

"You just gotta break 'em in," Vic said, watching me walk like a toddler back to where she was.

"Vic," I responded, "I've been breakin' 'em in. For three days. Nana Tina's feet must've been real small. Can't I just go barefoot?"

"Hell no!"

"It's just a bit much, isn't it? Don't get me wrong, the dress and the shoes are beautiful. But I just wanna get married to the man I love. Without...all this..."

We looked out to our family going about getting everything in place. John was helpin' mama carry the benches while Dinah was carefully placing the white roses near each seat.

"No, no," Vic smiled. "It's exactly enough. Tomorrow will be perfect!"

"Where you want 'em, boss?" Tyler asked, comin' up with a bench over his shoulder.

"On either side of the aisle," she answered.

"Which aisle?" Coco asked, coming up behind Tyler with a bench of her own.

"Does no one have vision!?"

I chuckled as she eagerly went to instruct them. Dinah came up beside me as I took off my shoes. The feel of the earth below my feet brought me peace for the first time in days.

"Such a southern belle," Dinah chuckled.

"Like you haven't gone barefoot outside before," I teased.

"It's a great feeling. I won't even lie. How do you feel?"

"I'll be less anxious once we say, 'I do'."

We shared a laugh before my sights landed on my husband-to-be. Him and mom were in the sunroom, having light conversation over tea.

I couldn't help but smile. He was really the light of my life. And tomorrow, I'd get to call him mine.

"You two should get some rest," Dinah said, hugging me from behind. "Tomorrow's the big day. And you can't handle Vic's 'vision' if you're running on fumes."

"Guess you're right...even though vampires don't need sleep...tell D I love him? This whole superstition of the bride seeing the groom before the wedding is so stupid..."

"It keeps the excitement going," Dinah giggled. "Don't worry, I'll tell him. I'll even make sure nana's shoes are kept safe."

I smiled before kissing her cheek, making my way back to my room to escape the pre-wedding madness that was my sister...

~

{𝙳𝙴𝙺𝙰𝚈𝙻𝙸𝙽}

I was the only one still up in the house.