23

It has been two days since I last spoke to father and he screened my calls. I tried to call him yesterday a few times and at first he would let it ring out. I even sent him text messages but they all went opened and unanswered.

I tried to call him first thing this morning before training- the same result. I tried again after

training but it went straight to voicemail and I realized that he had screened my calls. The thought put me in a rather bad mood.

I understand that I'm failing him, and I understand that I'm being a shitty daughter but shouldn't my happiness be worth more than peace? I'm content here and I don't want to have to kill anyone or hurt anyone here because they have done nothing but be good to me, why can't he just understand that?

This is the first time I have out rightly refused to do something that he asked of me, and he is going to throw away twenty two years of me doing his bidding just because of one time that I refused to. I feel like I have earned one rebellious streak. And it is not as if I am completely disregarding the Costa Nostra; they are my family, I grew up there and I have nothing but love and respect for everyone in New York, but I actually like it here and I don't want to ruin it.

It is also self preservation because there is no way in hell that I will get away with murdering Lorenzo. Alessandro and Emilio will turn on me in a second and I will die before I even set foot out of this house, pregnant with his child or not.

Everyone noticed my bad mood and tried their best to avoid me. Evelyn just said hi to me and at first she tried to help me in the kitchen but when she spilled some water and I gave her a death glare and she left me alone in the kitchen to do my work.

Alessandro didn't take the hint that I was in a bad mood until he tried to tug at my braids and I bent his fingers to a very uncomfortable and painful angle. After that, he refrained from touching or communicating with me.

Lorenzo stared at me for a full minute after that as if he was trying to decipher me or understand what was making me feel the way I was.

I left breakfast early and locked myself in the closet. I took out my mom's letters and rummaged through them for one that could possibly explain why I'm feeling the way I'm feeling.

I found one titled, "when your dad is being a dick'. I laughed when I read the title and decided this would do and opened it.

A picture fell out of her with some people I've never seen. I think they're her family though because she is a splitting image of the woman behind her and the younger girl sitting in front of her. The man standing next to the woman was also a splitting image of the younger boy sitting next to my mom.

Why didn't my father tell me that my mom had family? I decided to handle that later and open the letter.

Isabella,

There's so much I cannot explain to you in letters and I know I will not have the chance to explain them to you in person. It hurts me to know that you will have to go through life on your own and realize a lot of things by yourself.

The picture I am going to attach to this is of my family; it is one of the only pictures I have of them. You will probably never know who they are and that is one of my biggest regrets. They didn't want me marrying your father but I didn't have a choice. He is the capo, and his word is law. There is very little my family can say or do in the matter.

My father was an underboss and after getting married to your father, he grew paranoid and angry because he knew my father didn't want me married to him. In fact, I'm sure he only married me because I was the one person who didn't want to marry him.