Chapter Forty-Four

This chapter is going to be short, and kind of lead into the new book. Go check out the first five chapters! The title is Uncanny Neighbors. This one is a Hawks x Y/N(with spicy content). I'm going to be experimenting with some new adult writing! So look out for a couple works out there.

~

The night still haunted you like a fucking nightmare. The calls coming from every phone in the room. Emi's, your own, and even Aizawa's. The two of you had bumped into him on a walk to a small coffee shop. Emi couldn't resist turning the coincidence into a full conversation.

"I need to get back to the festival," Aizawa had been saying. It was all drowned out as you forced yourself to pick up the phone.

Their's had been text, but yours kept ringing. It was Tensei's mom. The two of you were only about five months into dating, but you'd grown very close already. Hotaru had grown to love him, and he cared about her just as much. But his mother was calling.

"Hello?" You answered, trying to stay as calm as possible.

Before anyone said anything, you just heard the painful wails come from the woman. "Mari?" When she realized you answered, she cried harder. Emi and Aizawa both could overhear, making the man very uncomfortable. Still, he stayed in fear it was something serious. "Please, please get to the hospital. Tensei, he's in critical condition!"

You couldn't form words. Your hand was gripping your phone so hard, Emi had to pry it from your fingers to talk to his mom. The catatonic state you entered felt like a whole new level of fear. It was midday. What could have possibly happened...

Without much thought, you just remembered following Emi towards her car. She helped buckle Hotaru up, and drove you both to the hospital. All you could think is that he was going to die. The fear of losing someone else you had come to care too much about was making you go numb again. You felt every bone in your body shake as you began to sob. Emi didn't know what to say or do, so she just rubbed your arm.

When the two of you got to the room, the Iida family was there. Tenya, Tensei's younger brother had just arrived as well. His face was red with anger as he went to his brothers side. You felt out of place, not knowing what to do. Hotaru was confused, just staring around and wondering why Tensei was in bed with weird tubes and bandages on him. There was chatter from the nurses, and the doctors as his family all shuffled in. Their mother turned, and finally saw you in the room. Her arms took you and your daughter in a hug before you could protest.

"Oh, Mari. I'm so sorry, it's so bad..." she was trying to calm her crying to give the doctors room to talk, but the tears wouldn't stop. Tenya was at his brothers side, tears pouring out onto the floor.

"Who did this, Tensei tell me!" He wailed. The anger was consuming the poor young man. You thought maybe he would do something brash, but he was just a kid after all. They always did crazy shit.

"Mom," Tensei finally spoke. The doctors froze, all turning to look at the man. "Tenya, Mari..." he trailed off seeing who was in the room. His blue eyes trailed back up to his little brother, tears finally falling. "I'm so sorry. You look up to me so much... and I lost."

"No," Tenya rejected this. "No you didn't." He stepped away from his brother, shaking his head. "I'll find them. I'll find whoever did this to you!" You covered Hotaru's ears when she almost began to cry at the yelling. Tenya froze, seeing the small girl scared of his own actions. "Oh, I'm..  I'm so sorry."

"Son!" Their mom called after Tenya as he left the room, no longer wanting to cry in front of everyone. His mother didn't immediately chase after him, but Tensei gave her a small, barely manageable nod. "Please, come back, Tenya!" She chased after him finally, tears now just small tracks on her cheeks.