Chapter Thirty-Eight

Idk who to credit for this fanart, but it's beautiful and I found it on Pinterest!

There is a NSFW scene later in this chapter, so give me honest reviews!!!

~~~
When you opened the door, you didn't expect Dabi to be there ready to rip it open himself. The two of you agreed on fifteen minutes. If the time went over that, he was coming up to see if everything was okay. You glanced over to the digital clock displayed next to their tv. It had literally been one minute over fifteen. You turned a glare towards the taller man, but you couldn't hold it there for long. His eyes were filled with more worry than you'd ever seen in him. It faded quickly when he took note of the bags on your arms, and the pained look in Hawks eyes. You were leaving, but Ismene was still tangled between the blondes legs.

Dabi noted the tears wanting to break from your eyes, and then glanced over to the cat. She had taken a couple of steps forward when she saw him, but still stayed firmly by Hawks. "You ready?" He turned to you, shielding you now a bit from Hawks line of view. With you now out the door, he was half tempted to shut it behind him, but for some reason he wanted to twist the knife just a little deeper. "You okay?" And Dabi let his hand ever so gently brush your cheek. That part came too naturally, almost scaring him how delicate he wanted to treat you.

"Of course." You didn't hesitate, and couldn't resist a glance over at Hawks. You wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that there would never be a repeat of the incident in Hajime's apartment. His sadness was only lessened a bit knowing you still had that little bit of faith in him, but even that helped. "Let's go before you start problems." Your scolding almost made both the men chuckle, reminiscing in how familiar it was.

Dabi didn't turn to give Hawks a look. He couldn't. His evil mind would want to say something to make the man hate him, just to make this easier, but he promised you. He promised he would stay civil. This was the last time Hawks would have that courtesy.

Hawks didn't let himself crumble until long after the door shut. Ismene had pitter-pattered over to it, almost in shock that the two of you could just walk out like that. Hawks believed it. He would walk out on him too. His knees screamed in pain when they hit the hardwood floor. Ismene trotted back over to him, soft fur and small purrs comforting him just a bit. All of that was a reminder of what just left his life.

Dabi didn't ask what happened. He didn't try to push you for answers, but he did let himself get just a little more comfortable with you. He noticed the way your shoulders stayed taught, wound up and just waiting for a moment to relieve the stress. He threw an arm over them, rubbing your upper arm to try and pull you away from any thoughts that could have been clouding your mind. "What ya' thinking, Princess? You going to be okay?"

You gave a shrug. "I'm sure I'll be fine. Im more worried about him.." You let your voice trail off, being followed by a sigh. Hawks hated being alone. You remembered how depressed and beat up he looked every day that went by without Dabi. You didn't even want to imagine what he was like before the older man came back into his life.