The Academy

Siren

My eyes flatter open and my body instantly reminds me I need to take a sharp intake of air. I can feel the wetness of my nightwear that was clinging onto my -now sweaty- body tightly. Yet I still, facing the ceiling, trying to even out my breathing as I recall my dream once more. The same dream I kept having for the past nine years. I remove the blankets off of me and start walking towards the balcony to catch some air.

It is a peaceful night, though I could hardly make out our neighbors because Master Baranov hates noises and therefore chose a very isolated place to live. I don't complain either, I absolutely love the silence.

I went back inside and I check the time on my alarm clock next to my bed. It's still three am. I usually wake up at five but I know I'm never going back to sleep now.

So I decide to take a shower, to relax myself and rid of the sweat from that dreadful dream I had. It just won't leave my head and it's frustrating me now.

I remember it like it was yesterday when it was but ten years ago. Or almost eleven years ago now. I finally decided to tell my mother about how horrible her husband is to me. The things he says and the things he does, although I knew she would probably take his side on things. Every time she did but I still tried.

I didn't want to be a bother to her because I needed her, I wanted to be the good girl because she already hated me for the way I look. The least I could do was be good. Except every time I reported something to her, I got a beating. This time it was something very bad and I wanted her to at least comfort me if she won't bother to defend me.

It was on my birthday when she left me alone with her husband. I was turning twelve and he said he had a gift from me in their bedroom. I didn't know that that gift would be a life long traumatic experience that wouldn't never leave my mind no matter how hard I tried.

When I told my mother though, she had decided to take us on a road trip, a three hour road trip that landed us in the middle of the woods. She walked us through the woods, I remember how gentle her words were. I remember how for the first time she held my hand while guiding us through them and when I asked what was going on. She would give me the same response, telling me it will be alright.

She eventually came to a stop around some trees after a fifteen minute walk, she told me she was going to get her cellphone from her car and like the fool I was, I waited. Because I trusted her. She was my mother after all.

I found myself standing around long brown trees, surrounding me at their height that was a hundred times my mine, all meeting at the top where I knew I could never reach. I waited for her as seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into half an hour. A half an hour turned into two, till I got tired and my stomach started moving at a realization. A very scary thought plagued my mind.

I started venturing for her, looking for her or a way back but nothing. I was lost in the woods, all alone with nothing but the trees and the animals of the forest. I forgot the way we came and it's not like she had started to look for me. I contemplated shouting for her name but with fear of what might come out, I stayed silent.

The sudden thought that I was separated from my mother -as cruel as she was- gave me crippling fear. I took a seat in front of one of the trees, letting my tears fall as I buried my head between my short legs. I stood there for what felt like hours till the dark started to creep in, stealing the day from me and giving me more fear than before.

I remembered being confused. Confused and scared as I asked myself multiple questions that needed as many answers that I knew I didn't have nor could I have them. Wasn't Yvonne coming for me? Why did she let me wander alone when she was my mother? Did she leave me?