Chapter 1

I woke up in a white room, laid out on a bed with pink sheets and a rather persistent beep that sounded throughout the room. I looked around, finding a small box on a metal pole, that appeared to be the source. My heart rate began to spike, causing the beeping to increase steadily, and showing a correlation between the two. A doctor and a nurse stepped into the room. The nurse was traveling at a fast pace, reaching the different gizmos attached to me in no time flat, ensuring they were functioning properly. The doctor strolled at a relaxed pace; clipboard tucked under his arm. He was a handsome man, blonde hair, blue eyes, and had an air of confidence that relaxed me a little.

"Well, you're finally awake!" The young doctor said, noting the hit of panic in my eyes. "My name is Dr. Smith, basic I know, but I'm just going to run through a brief cognitive test with you real quick, now that you're awake. You were only out for a couple of hours, but still, it's routine." He pulled the clipboard out from under his arm. He then clicked a pen, and held it to whatever paper clung to the board, "How are you feeling?"

The nurse stopped what she was doing, as though waiting for the answer to this question as well. I looked between the two of them, confused. "I feel okay. My head hurts." I finally replied, not sure if this was a good answer or not.

The nurse then began rooting around in a cabinet for some light pain medicine.

"That's good," Dr. Smith replied, looking up from the clipboard. "Tell me, do you remember why you are here?"

I tried to think back to something, a memory. "I fell, I couldn't let go of the helicopter."

Dr. Smith nodded. "Yeah, after flying around in the air for a while, do you remember any of that?"

I nodded. "Yes, I was trying to stop the helicopter from getting away." My eyes squinted on their own, like the room had suddenly become too bright for its own good, "It was, uh..." But the memory fell from my grasp.

Dr. Smith nodded again. "Just a heads up, after I check you out, some folks from the police department are going to want to talk to you." He looked back to his clipboard. "What's your name?"

I thought back to something again, my eyes then widened as I realized there was nothing to think back to. "I don't know." I replied slowly, my voice uncertain.

Dr. Smith raised his eyebrows. "Can you tell me who the current president is?"

"Davis."

"The year?"

"2032."

Dr. Smith nodded at this. "Do you happen to remember what you were doing before you," He cleared his throat, "chased the helicopter?"

Again I tried to think back to something, anything, but nothing came. I sadly shook my head.

"Family, friends, anyone we can contact?"

I shook my head again. There was nothing in me, just a blank canvas. Nothing more, nothing less.

The door flung itself open once again, and a smaller, brown haired man rushed into the room. He was short, maybe five and a half feet, though built solid. He wasn't bulky like a bodybuilder, but his limbs were well proportioned, like someone who played sports for a living. I remember the shirt he was wearing, it was the first true hint of color I had seen. It was a black, tie dye, tee shirt with a depiction of a bright and colorful space battle played out across it.

He looked around, nodded at the doctor, then spotted me on the bed. A large smile broke across his face, and he charged me, embracing me in a big hug that hurt a bit causing me to yelp. "Liv you're okay!" He shouted in my ear, at an uncomfortable volume.