Part 9

It's been about two months since your first tutor session with Kaminari. It's clear that he's been doing the worksheets by himself after leaving your house. The two of you spend less time fixing his notes and memorizing formulas, instead you go on walks together at dusk since Keigo doesn't usually get home until midnight. 

You're in your room changing out of your school uniform, Denki doing the same just next door in his house. Freeing yourself from the skirt and tights, you pull on baby-pink sweatpants and replace your white shirt with an airy black one. Quickly twisting your hair into a messy bun, you wrap a silky, pink scrunchie around the updo. Lastly, you snag a plain black hoodie off its hanger before making your way downstairs. In the kitchen, you toss the hoodie on one of the stools by the counter that you and Kaminari don't use. Pulling the freezer door open, you hear the front door open followed by Kaminari's usual loud entrance.

Kaminari: Y/N, I'm here! 

Y/N: 'Kay, I'm in the kitchen! 

As you search the refrigerator, Kaminari enters the room, taking his seat at the counter. 

Kaminari: What's the ice cream flavor of the day?

Y/N: Umm, actually, that depends.

Kaminari: Huh? Depends on what? 

You shut the freezer door and turn around to face him, waiting for him to finish pulling out his folders so you have his attention.

Y/N: On whether you're willing to move the usual study sesh to the cafe...?

You trail off at the end, the pitch of your voice rising slightly in an audible question mark. Your eyes move from his eyes to his nose, back to his eyes to his ear, back to his eyes to his mouth, back up to his eyes to his hair. You just can't bring yourself to look him in the eyes, whether it's because of how much affection is present in his gaze or the shining stars shimmering in his golden irises. He blinks once, twice, and cocks his head to the side in visible confusion.

Y/N: Sorry, that didn't make sense. We're out of ice cream, so I thought we could do our homework at the coffee shop and then buy ice cream on our way home.

Kaminari: Oh, y-

Y/N: I mean to our homes, like our separate houses. 

He stares at you in silence for a moment as he tries to make sense of why you felt the need to specify as your point had been made without it. 

Kaminari: Uh, yeah, I'm fine with that. 

Y/N: Okay! Great. 

Your voice gets higher in embarrassment as you resist the urge to crawl into the corner and sob and scream and all of the things that usually go on. You quickly run up to your room to grab your bag, making sure your wallet, keys, and other necessities that you normally wouldn't even take out of the bag but you bring it anyway because you're paranoid about what would happen if you didn't have it if you did need it. Speeding back down the stairs, you toss your bag towards the bench in the foyer and completely miss. Kaminari swiftly catches the bag and waits by the door as you pull on your hoodie and shoes. After exiting the house, you test the doorknob at least twice to make sure it's locked and then fix your shoes before trying to open the door once more for good measure. Kaminari stands at the end of your driveway, looking back over his shoulder as he waits for you. His hair glimmers in the sunlight, getting brighter as you near closer. Reaching him, he matches your pace as the two of you make your way down the sidewalk. You hold out your hand and he looks down at the AirPod in your palm before accepting it. Slipping yours under your hair, you shuffle the playlist you both made a few weeks ago. A black car going way over the speed limit comes into view as it speeds in your direction. You think nothing of it, but Denki grabs your hand, pulling you to the other side of the sidewalk furthest from the road. You stumble and look up at him. He meets your gaze for a second with serious eyes before turning forward again, intertwining his fingers with yours.