CHAPTER 10 - ALEX

I dived into the deep corners of the internet to find out if the random digits on the small crumpled piece of paper were actually bank account numbers or just another sick coincidence of the universe that would lead us back to a dead end. And she helped, or rather claimed to help as she stared at me, watching me hunched over the laptop screen.

A very deep dive confirmed my doubts with fruitful results.

“Aha! I still got it!”

“Care to share?”
She sat up straight and without waiting for a reply jumped closer to me, perching over my shoulder to get a better look at the screen. “Okay what is this?”

“This, ladies and gentlemen, confirms my findings. It is indeed a bank account. All I have to do is find the account holder's name and its home branch.”

“And that helps us how?”

“Well, it will tell us which account exactly it is also where the bank is based, and ofcourse who owns the account, and if we manage to locate the home branch of that account we might be able to use some of that influence you carry to find out if they carry lockers, might help us figure out what is the importance of the account.”

“What if they don't help us? Or if we can't find anything? Or if we don't find any lockers? Or if the lockers are empty?”

“You have any other plans for us?”

She didn't say anything, just stared at me blankly.

“Exactly. This is all we have for now, let's go with this and see if it brings us somewhere, we'll deal with it when we get to it.”

It was surprisingly easy to figure out which bank was linked to the account. I looked around the room and was surprised to find her passed out next to me, breathing softly, a peaceful look on her face.

Before I could register what I was doing, I pulled out my phone to take a picture of her. Before you judge me, keep in mind I wasn't exactly thinking with my head, also, she looked really pretty.

I was unsure what to do at this point. Was I supposed to sit there and stare at her? Or was I supposed to sit there waiting for her to wake her up? Or was I to just ignore her and pretend to work on my laptop? Waking her up felt rude, and something told me she wasn't really getting a lot of sleep either, I mean considering the type of shit she was going through, it was not likely.

I sat there for a second recalling my interaction with the big bad wolf not too long ago. The way his strong muscular arm held me up, the way his grip on my waist tightened just before releasing me, the way he stared into my soul for a second too long, and the way his deep voice said my voice.
A chill went down my spine thinking of the interaction I had witnessed between the three men. My thoughts went back to the tall balding man. He didn't look caucasian, he could have been related to Sofia in some way, but how?

Before I could take a deep dive into the Manchestes family history I felt her stirring awake next to me. Another task for later. I made a mental note to myself as she opened her eyes, taking in her surroundings.

“Good morning madam.'' Yes, it may have sounded sarcastic as the words left my lips, but I hoped she didn't catch that.

“Damn, why the attitude?”

Okay, maybe not.

I ignored her sassy look and dragged my attention back to the screen.

“Okay, so I did my digging and it turns out the account is linked to a Swiss bank, you know the type with really high security and privacy? It seems to be something small and local, because there isn't much I can dig apart from the bank and a few of its branches.”