Let's go without plastic straws or choose alternatives...

Can you believe that 500 million disposable straws are used in the US per day?! According to Eco-Cycle, "500 million straws could fill over 127 school buses each day, or more than 46,400 buses every year!" WOW!

This article will talk about going with the option to NOT use plastic straws at all, and if you and your family feel that you like to use straws, we will take a look at alternative options. Landfills are filled with all kinds of plastic that won't decompose. Plastic straws can't be recycled. It's crazy when we think of all the plastic straws contributing to clogging up landfills and possibly getting into the ocean which may harm Marine life!

Let's refuse plastic straws!
It's in our control to NOT buy plastic straws. We can make a conscious decision to not buy and use them. However, when we are going out to eat, it becomes a bit more of a challenge. What do you need to do? A helpful tip is that you remember to tell your server (immediately, before they take your drink order) that you and your party do not want plastic straws. This works for me. I've found that if you make a special point to politely tell them that you and the people you are with do not want straws, they usually do remember. It's easy to get sidetracked and forget to tell your server when you first arrive because you are excited to hang out with your friends or family. Make a point to tell your server right away and then it's done. After a few times of doing this, you should remember every time you go out to eat, and it will become a good habit! If you are already doing this, then YOU ARE AWESOME! Keep it up!

Where it can be a little frustrating is when at a restaurant, your server brings water to your table with plastic straws already in the glasses before they take drink orders. Usually, this is the first time they have come over to talk to you and the people with you. I have noticed lately that some restaurants are putting straws directly in the beverages as mentioned above, as opposed to on the side. If you are aware of a certain restaurant that does this because you've been there before, then ask the person seating you to please let your server know that you and your party would appreciate water without straws. You can remind your server again when they come over to take drink orders. In my experience, I have found this to work for me. The key is to be polite about your request.

I should mention the idea of talking to the restaurant manager about not using straws at all. Some restaurants are not using straws, and it cuts down on their overhead expenses while helping the environment.

I realize that I discussed "refusing plastic straws" in great detail, but it's important and not hard to do. If we make an effort to pay attention and make these easy changes, then we will help to cut down on plastic straws usage. In the long run, it's worth it for you, all of us, and the environment! Every step we take leads to our greaner future!

Plastic straw alternatives
If you prefer using a straw, but want to have a biodegradable or reusable option, then you're in luck!

Some straws that are available other than plastic include: paper, titanium, stainless steel, glass, and bamboo. Some people use these types of straws at home and take them to school or work. Some people like to have their straws with them in their travels.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article!