Welcome to the Eco-Cities of the future!

''Science fiction at its best is about exploring issues of how humanity deals with change. And no process of change threatens us more radically than what we are doing now to a natural environment we totally rely upon,'' said author David Brin. Virtual reality simulations, genetically designed babies, crime prediction software, holographic movie trailers, self-lacing shoes, and of course, hoverboards - these are just a few enhancements to our world that we've envisioned through literature or film, predicting what our future civilizations could look like. But how will we use technology to solve the problems plaguing our planet, and how will we change our cities to adapt to ensure our survival?

Financial sponsorship seems to be the only gatekeeper holding us from making any dream a reality; it's more about what the demand is rather than the question of possibility. Around the world, eco-conscious plans are serving as the new normality, whether it is creating an entirely new infrastructure or modifying existing, and thriving metropolises to adapt to environmental change. However, the future does look bright.

One recent study conducted by the Neo-Carbon Energy project found that the price of solar electricity will drop by half by the years 2025-2030. Wind and solar energy will be the ''cheapest forms of energy for most of the world,'' insists Pasi Vainikka, a principal scientist involved in the research. It seems the idea of a zero emissions, livable, mixes use community in the next few decades isn't so far fetched.

Take the least likely candidate for environment progress: Abu Dhabi, a region built on oil money and a taste for the lavishly excessive. In the middle of the oil rich land of the Middle East, the UAE (United Arab Emirates) has the 3rd highest ecological footprint in the world. Ironically, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al Nahyan understands the fleetingness of their fortunes and created the Mubadala Development Company. Their mission is to research other possibilities of energy that would sustain the region beyond the plummet of oil reserves, and they determined that investing in renewables like solar and wind was the most mature direction for their economic survival. Abu Dhabi's pet project is called Masdar City, a tiny two square mile town with $18 billion invested into its growth. Initially, the vision was of s virtually self-sufficient and car-less city, with solar panels on every building's rooftop. But, the economic crisis of 2008 caused a $4 billion budget reduction that left Masdar City in a standstill. The dream of solar panels on every building became a grounded one of solar panels almost outside the city.

This innovation project might not result in a thriving metropolis, but its contributions to environmental technology cannot be trivialized. Masdar City has inspired numerous solar projects, including a concentrated solar power plant 100 miles outside of Masdar that is able to store energy in the form of heat and is useful for desalination. The giant wind tower serves to sift cool air from above and create a breeze through the streets, significantly lowering temperatures and reducing the need for air conditioning in the hot climate.

Natural sequestration techniques are going to be implemented in the eco-friendly futuristic Treasure Island, located off the coast of San Francisco. By 2020, this island is promised to be a zero waste facility, with buildings that are of gold standard for U.S. Green Building Council. The open space within Treasure Island, 220 acres of a natural, diverse ecosystem, will be able to harness carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. A large organic farm that can supply food for residents is envisaged, a well as a plan to recycle 25% of the water as irrigation or toilet flushing in commercial buildings. Additionally, they are using the Living Machine, a filtration device that uses plants and microbes to neutralize water so that it will help close the water loop in the near future. Although Treasure Island is far from perfect, like Masdar City, it is an experimentation in innovation.

Sustainability and biodiversity are being valued by many other cities around the world. Economic obstacles have made some experimental eco-cities delayed or even halted, but the direction many governments are leaning towards is one of embracing technology that can help reduce lr even eliminate the use of mon-renewable energy sources.