New urban water design aims to eliminate water waste

If you have ever wondered how to design an eco-friendly residence, then look no further! Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) is a practice that incorporates the natural water cycle and the urban water system - like rainwater, groundwater, and graywater - into the very design of the home to minimize some of the probable environmental damage that occurs over time. This system is built to mitigate environmental impacts, increase water quality and quantity, and manage storm water runoff during extreme weather conditions.

In the midst of today's modern technology and design, one of the biggest challenges that architects and urban planners face is ''the urgent need to design sustainable neighborhoods, communities, and even cities, in order to lower operating costs and create more vibrant and livable spaces'' according to a study conducted by a team from the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation. This study offers some in-depth insight into incorporating sustainable and eco-friendly ideas into the world of modern home design. This team also mentions that one of the most important elements for successful sustainable designing is to ''ensure there is an effective water management system in place that mimics the natural hydrological cycle,'' which would ultimately lead to ''more green space and higher property values.''

However, usually when urban development occurs, large surfaces like roads, rooftops, and sidewalks become water-resistant, meaning runoff from storm water intensifes and water flow increases. Such quick fluctuations in the appearance of water on public sidewalks and roads leads to an increase of contaminants from area residences and passing vehicles, which them flow into local bodies of water like streams or rivers. The Canadian study points out that contaminants, like ''oil, grease, brake dust, and other toxic substances'' have a negative impact on the natural ecosystems and surrounding wildlife, as well as the water quality human beings depend on.

To combat those problems, WSUD is concerned with the design of urban environments to be more 'sustainable' limiting the negative impacts of urban development on the total urban water cycle, minimize impacts on existing natural features and ecological processes and ecosystems, protect water quality and quantity of surface and ground water, and improving the quality of, and minimizing, polluted water discharges flowing into the natural environment'' as stated in the study. Communities can also benefit from these goals and learn to adapt and maintain more eco-friendly practices that will pay off in the long run.

Overall, the Water Sensitive Urban Design strives to aid urban residences much like the idea of implementing solar energy would help ease the cost of electricity. By safely and efficiently recycling and reusing groundwater, greywater, and other sources of water runoff, it can help ease the increasing demand for water supplies. In areas of the country where drought have become a real concern, this eco-efficient idea in design can really help to conserve more water sources and essentially lower some of the living expenses.