Sunscreens pose threat to underwater environment

We all know how important it is to protect our skin from harmful UV rays, especially during those smoldering summer months. The beach, a popular summer destination, is one place where your skin is almost more vulnerable to burning and other damage caused by the sun. Everyone knows that some of the best skin protection comes from using sunscreen, but what can be protection for your body may not be the best protection to the underwater environment.

Coral reefs are of vital importance to the underwater environment, partly because of their biodiversity-like qualities that are unmatched by any other ecosystem on the planet. Without coral reefs, millions of plant and animal species would not be able to survive, and could even adversly affect humans. A discovery by the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) found that natural elements from coral reefs could be used as ''our medicine cabinet of the 21st century,'' and will likely even generate cures for diseases. Additionally, accordind to Earth Share, coral reefs ''protect coastal areas from storms and erosion and even help remove and recycle excess carbon.'' They also cite a study from the Journal of Environmental Health Perspectives on the harmful effects of sunscreen saying that it ''potentially plays an important role in coral bleaching. It is estimated that up to 6000 tons of sunscreen is released annually by tourists in reef areas, and because  sunscreens are often petroleum based, they don't biodegrade.''

Furthermore, National Geographic News report that ''the four main ingredients in sunscreen can awaken dormant viruses in the symbiotic algae called 'zooxanthellae' that live inside reef-building coral species. These chemicals cause the viruses to replicate until their algae hosts explode, spilling viruses into the surrounding seawater, where they infect neighboring coral communities.'' So when chemicals from your favorite sunscreen enventually come into contact with coral reefs, the reefs become strained and literally expel the living algae from inside their structure, leaving behind nothing more than a skeleton that over time, becomes bleached. Roberto Danovaro, from the Polytechnic University of Marche in Italy and his team found that ''even low levels of sunscreen may activate the algae viruses and completely bleach the coral in only four days.'' Making matters worse, coral reefs are also being threatened by other toxins, pollutants, and the increasing water temperatures due to the rising threat of global warming.

So what does this mean for ongoing sunbathers and beach-goers? No sunscreen for the sake of protecting the environment? Not so fast, says Danovaro. Banning the use of sunscreen is not necessary to protect delicate ecosystems. Some simple things that swimmers can do to reduce the negative impacts on coral reefs is to use sunscreen with physical filters to reflect UV rays instead of absorbing them. And even simpler, be sure to purchase eco-friendly sunscreens, but be sure to check your ingredient labels for harmful chemicals like, ''oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate'' first!