Vehicles still causing air pollution issues for the environment

Some might consider discussions the air pollution generated from cars as an "old" topic, however in reality, this subject is still continues to be a current environmental problem. Even though technology has found ways to make cars more eco-friendly and cost-efficient - good for the planet and your wallet - the number of mobile cars on the road has dramatically increased in the last several decades. In 1970, the U.S. Département of Transportation "reported over 89.9 billion vehicle miles traveled. In 2011, that number nearly tripled to over 246.3 billion. In the U.K., road transport accounts for 22% of total UK emissions of carbon dioxide, which is a major contributor to climate change," according to a report by Jennifer King from Demand Media. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns that "more than half of the air pollution in the U.S. is caused by mobile sources, primarily automobiles," putting King's report into more perspective.

Car emissions can affect the environment in several ways. Some of the most potent are the greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons that are emitted, which are not only major contributing factors to global warming, but they also have huge negative impacts on people, animals, and local plants and vegetation. These gases can also settle on soil and surface waters, therefore entering potential food sources that affect the various bodily systems of animals - which we then consume. Moreover, "nitrogen oxides and sulfur oxides are major contributors to acid rain which changes the pH of waterways and soils and can harm the organisms that rely on these resources," states King.

Additionally, cars use up a lot of energy before they even make it to the road through all the manufacturing processes they go through prior to resting on the car lot. National Geographic reports that "automotive production leaves a massive footprint, because materials like steel, rubber, glass, plastics, pains etc. must be created before a new ride is ready to roll." And what about after a car has surpassed its lifetime, is no longer able to run, and becomes scrap metal? No, the environmental impact doesn't end there either because "plastics, toxic battery acids and more can stay in the environment." However, with more and more awareness being brought to the environment and huge problems like global warming, there is more of an effort being made to recycle as many materials from that old junky car as possible. Still, a lot of energy is being consumed during a vehicle's lifetime that is still causing too many environmental issues.

On the good side however, you can do several things to reduce your environmental impact! Here is a great list we've provided courtesy of an amazing toolkit created to teach readers about sustainable living and practices, one being the efforts of cars and other methods of transportation:
• Do not use cars for short journeys.
• Regular servicing keeps your car more efficient and saves fuel.
• Unnecessary weight such as roof racks for example increases fuel consumption.
• When tires need replacing, consider low rolling resistance.
• Drive gently, as racing and sudden stops increase fuel consumption.
• Steady your speed.
• Switch off when stopping for more than a minute.
• Only use air conditioning when really necessary, as they increase fuel consumption.
• Consider car and/of journey sharing.
• Look into alternative, more eco-friendly vehicle options.