~3~

Song: As It Was, by: Hozier

~~~

"That simply wouldn't be feasible. Catalina, Tatsuya-I want nothing more than to protect your family, and your kids. But, there's steps to be taken, protocols to be followed. Our clan has followed these rules for centuries, we can't break them for your sake." Eleu's raspy voice while low, boomed throughout the council room. He was adamant on his stance to not involve Dominique and Tomas. They couldn't know about him.

"Eleu, we need solutions! We can't just run into this with no plan! Our kids are well past the lies and secrecy!" Tatsuya slams his hands on the podium he and his wife were standing behind. His pulse was racing just thinking about his children who were at home. 

They had tried for 18 years to keep them away from this, knowing of what was to come and what would be required of them. They didn't think the time would have to come so soon. 

Catalina roared throughout the council room, "My kids will not be used as bait! Especially not my daughter. You know what's coming. You know what is going to happen. The curse gets passed down to every council leader! You know that he's coming. We all know that he's coming. Why is there still an argument?!" She was going to get what she wanted, whether she had to force the hand of every single of these council members on the stand.

"Abaddon is going to come back... And, we are the council. We are responsible for all of the clans on the Hawaiian islands, and we cannot come to an agreement on an issue that only has one solution..."

Ayana was sitting next to Eleu, her eyes were colder than any hailstorm's conception. Catalina knew that she was not going to understand, she was the most stern in the traditional beliefs of the council. She looked towards the other 5 members, hoping for them to see reason.

Comemierdas, her mind is yelling over and over. (Assholes or little shits.)

Her eyes lock on Makani, on the far left corner of the council podium. She was paler than normal and looked sickly. Her forehead was glossy from the sweat and her lips were a dry pink, clearly she was not well. But, her council duties always came first.

Please. She pleads with her eyes to Makani, hoping that she'll receive the message. She was her family too. Makani's eyes drop to the table as she pretends to wipe dust away.

"Please. If Abaddon is to return, we need as many reinforcements that we can get. We can get our kids trained! There's still time!"

Tatsuya kept silent, not wanting to engage anymore in the conversation, at risk of further angering himself and saying something outwardly. He had a hand on top of his wife's fist that continued to bang on the podium as she spoke. Tears of frustration were welling in her eyes as she tried to argue for the rights of her currently absent kids. They couldn't even be there to defend themselves. 

Ayana and Luka glanced at one another, before looking back to Eleu. They were the big 3 of the council, having the roles passed down to them going back over 10 generations. They took their roles very seriously and were in no business of turning against the rules, or the council's prophecy.

"I have no magic. I cannot protect them. A mother's love and protection can only go so far. I want to give them the best chance, I want to give her the best chance. They deserve it, the world deserves it. Are we seriously going to allow chaos to ensue on the rest of the world when we have a chance to stop it? Councilmen, Makani... Please..." She moves from the podium and over to the council stands and lets a tear fall from her widened, pleading eyes.

"Please... Eleu... I'm begging you." She bows her head and holds onto the council stands for dear life, her knuckles turning pale. He turns to Ayana and Luka, sighing with defeat.

He knew this was going to put a dent in the council's prophecy, but he had to keep appearances for the rest of the members.

"Alright... however there will be conditions." Catalina drops to her knees and holds up praying hands to him, "Oh! Thank you! Thank you, thank you!" Tatsuya goes to hold her shoulders, slowly bringing her up from the ground. Her right hand going to her heart, she couldn't believe it was still beating after being pounded against her skin for the entire hour of this council's meeting.

"We must vote on mentors for the children and they must attend the council meetings, and will only be told what is agreed upon to share to them. They must prepare as we will, and they will be given no special treatment to any other mage." Eleu stood from his seat, his staff helping him stand. It was a long green branch that had vines wrapped around it and a shiny emerald on the hollow tip of the staff-it radiated magic energy and was a signature for him as the council leader.

"Ayana? Luka? Maybe you would like to volunteer to be the mentors for the kids?" They, however, gave each other a questioning glance and suggested otherwise, "We think it's best if they have someone they can relate to... We're a little... past their generation, wouldn't you agree, sir?" Ayana raises the question. She uses her hand to slick her stray hairs back to their original position with the rest of her bun. She looked the most professional, and the most intimidating.

"How about Kailani, your granddaughter, sir?" Luka suggests, with a smile. He appears warm, but deep down, he's just as strange as Ayana and Eleu, if not more. He's making them comfortable, so as to not provoke their insistent questioning. Eleu hums slowly, he starts to walk down the council stands as he starts to speak, "Well, she is incredibly gifted. She is also heir to my position, as council leader, I think she would be a fantastic choice."

He passes Makani and immediately an idea pops into his head, "Oh! Makani, you as well. You two would be perfect for the job. What do you say, young one?"

Makani takes a look at Catalina and Tatsuya, their eyes hopeful that she will agree. They knew what she was capable of and they knew she was exactly who the twins might need. She has her hands folded in her lap and keeps her eyes on the stand, "Yes, sir."

"Wonderful! Well, Catalina. Tatsuya. We will make arrangements for your kids. Your only job is to bring them to the resort, and we will arrange the rest," he steps down the stands and uses his wind to raise the blinds, the large, slightly translucent windows facing out onto the ocean. In the far distance, there's a small island-isolated from the rest of the resort and the council grounds.

Eleu clapped his hands together and approached the podium of the grateful parents, "We will get through this. Our ancestors," his hands raised to the skies, "handed us all the tools we needed to succeed against such a malignant evil. We will win this." He looks at them with a toothy, warm smile. He chose his words very carefully, there was a lot riding on what he said in this moment to the pair. 

Tatsuya held onto Catalina, who was still in tears. "We know what's best for our family. Involving them will only help to protect them... Right, mi vida?" (My world.) All that Tatsuya did in response was kiss her temple and pull her closer to his body, protecting his wife from any and all of her fears.

~~~

love you guys <3