1864

"Kitty," I whisper Katherine's nickname as I stare at myself in the mirror. My dress was tightened so much I could feel my lungs collapsing.

Tonight, was the Founders Ball, and Katherine and I decided to get ready together. We have become like sisters since our talk under the willow tree.

"Yes, Annie?" She replies to me as she finishes putting her jewelry in place.

"I want to be upfront and honest. We promised to be honest with each other no matter what." Ruth, one of our housemaids, finished tying the corset and left the room to give us more privacy. She knows I only ask for help on my dress, I refuse to use servants for anything else.

Katherine turns her body away from the mirror to give me her full attention. As I face her, I remind myself of what she told me. Always look people in the eye when confronting or demanding something. Confidence in a woman is the scariest thing to any man.

"You are going to the ball with Stefan." I start and I make sure to watch her reactions. "I know you have feelings for him, but I have also noticed you have been leading my eldest brother on to believing he has your attention too."

Katherine only stares at me not changing her expression. She doesn't speak, just holds the stare. As she sits and I stand in silence, I feel the room get warmer. I do not care for confrontations.

"I ask—-" I stop myself, reminding myself to demand. "I mean, I am telling you that you must stop this game you are playing with their hearts. They do not realize what is going on, and they will only hurt each other. So..." I make sure to look right in her eyes, "stop these actions."

Katherine holds my stare as she rises from her seat. She slowly walks her way to me from across the bedroom. Keeping the same stare, she stops right in front of me.

"Annie, dear Annie." She softly speaks as she twirls one of the loose curls that hangs in front of my face. "Whatever you say, princess." She smiles, but I can tell it does not reach her eyes.

I nod and step around as I walk to my jewelry box to put on the necklace Damon and Stefan gave to me for my birthday last year. I open the locket and smile down at the two photos of them. As I latch it around my neck, I make sure the emerald that sits on the front of the locket is facing out, keeping the inscription on the back closest to me.

Forever our Princess, D&S

I turned around once I had checked the mirror one last time. Katherine standing in the same place I had been standing before. I smiled at her and she reciprocated it, "Are you ready Kitty?" She nods and we both make our way downstairs where my brothers are waiting for us.