1922

Nik, his sister that I met soon after, and I sit in a corner booth as the night festivities continue. Nik has his arm around me as we sit close to each other. His other hand is holding onto mine, rubbing circles as I tell him about my lives. It feels like nothing has changed, and yet everything has in our lives.

"I wish to not speak of my past anymore. I want to hear from you. How are you? Where is Elijah? Will I get to meet your other siblings? What are you even doing here in Chicago?" I continue to ramble with questions as he smiles down at me with the same love I had always seen in his eyes. His eyes that I found comfort in throughout my cursed life. The smile I longed to see every day.

"I'm sorry, my love but Elijah is not traveling with us at the moment." He smiles, but I can see hurt hidden within the statement. "My sister is the only sibling I have at the moment. We were passing through and heard talk of a beautiful songbird that was caged in by the owner of this bar." He tells me and I look at him in confusion from his statement.

"Caged in by the owner? But that's not true. My mother owns this bar. Like I told you Nik, she is not harmful in any way." I laugh a little at the silly idea that I was caged. I see people all the time, I can freely roam the streets during the day, and I have friends of my own. There is no cage that he speaks of.

"Does Gloria not let you leave Chicago?" Rebecca asks me from across the booth. This was the first time she asked me a question besides Do you know who put this curse on you? My response was obviously that I didn't personally know who they were.

"I have never had any desire to leave Chicago or this street. There was no reason or any place for me to go." I look at her confused by the question.

"She has everything she needs here," Gloria says and I turn to see her standing at the edge of our table. A few glasses are in her hand as she stares at the two siblings. "I would introduce myself, but I believe we all know who we are. What we are." Her last statement was pointed to Nik as she stared him down.

"Mother, isn't it wonderful?" I beam to her from my spot next to Nik. I pull a hand and place it on his cheek as he turns to look at me smiling. "My love has found me and we can be together once again." He kisses my hand that was placed on his cheek as I begin to blush from the action.

She whispers something but I don't hear it. Rebecca and Nik must have as they both glare at her. "I have heard so many stories and prayers about you. My little songbird seems happy about your attendance at this celebration. I just wanted to come by myself to welcome you. We end the celebrations at half past two." She looks at me and I smile nodding in understanding that I still must follow my curfew. Gloria walks away and I hear Rebecca scoff once she has made a distance.

"What a true witch." Rebecca pulls herself out of the booth. "I'll let you two love birds have your moment. I'm starving; it was lovely to finally meet you, Anneliese." She smiles at me as she walks away into the crowd.

"Nik," he hums for me to continue as he continues to hold onto my hands. "When I first started my curse, I found out you were a vampire and feeding off my father." He stills as I continue, "I understand you can't help it, as you must survive. But why my father? Why lie to me?"

"My love," I see tears start to form in his eyes and I quickly wipe them away. "That day has haunted me ever since. I have had nightmares of that day; your face of when you found my brother and me in that moment. How I lost you that day and then truly lost you after that when you were daggered. I did plan on telling you the truth. I was going to tell you, but you found out on your own."

"It's okay, it's okay..." I whisper to him as I wipe away the tears. "I am here. I forgave you when I fell into that curse. You found me and I understand now."

"I have found you and I promise to never let you go. I lost you once and it will never happen again." He tells me with determination burning in his eyes. I smile as he kisses my forehead for reassurance that I will never have to leave his arms again.