Chapter 1

“Painted rocks, anyone?” chirped a sixteen-year-old girl, her voice filled with enthusiasm. “We’ve got flowers, a sun… take your pick!”

As the school students strolled past yet another sales booth, clad in their customary red and black uniforms, the atmosphere buzzed with activity. The teenage girl and her classmates were engaged in a project requiring them to set up booths and sell items to their peers, a task aimed at instilling responsibility and the value of earning money independently.

Brennon, Cameron’s booth partner and best friend, couldn’t hide his lack of excitement. “Cameron, I hate to say it, but this is kind of lame,” he remarked.
Cameron shot him a playful grin. “Oh, come on, you agreed to this! And look, we’ve already sold four rocks.”

“True,” Brennon conceded, crossing his arms. “But let’s be honest, we only went with rocks because we’re terrible at making anything else. Plus, we weren’t allowed to ask for help from our brainy best friend Corinna or any of our other pals.”

Cameron chuckled. “Well, it’s the safe bet for a passing grade. We’ll get an A for effort and the rest, so it’s a win-win,” she reasoned, trying to brighten Brennon’s mood.

As students ambled past, many ignored the humble stands of Cameron and her peers, casting glances that bordered on disdain at their unconventional merchandise. It was clear that selling quirky rocks wasn’t winning them any popularity points; instead, they were viewed as oddities amidst the more conventional offerings.

Cameron’s gaze shifted to a bustling stand nearby, where a crowd gathered eagerly. Its banner proclaimed, “Expensive Stuff for Twenty Dollars.”

She recognized it as Gemma Elias’s domain, the school’s resident queen bee known for flaunting her wealth to gain favor.

Gemma, accompanied by her loyal follower Janna, was busy doling out jewelry and collecting cash, all the while sporting a practiced fake smile. “Thank you so much,” Gemma chimed in, her voice dripping with insincerity. “Every dollar I make goes to charity, helping those less fortunate.”

Witnessing the charade, Cameron felt a surge of irritation. Gemma’s ostentatious display of generosity, while drawing praise from some students, only served to deepen Cameron’s disdain. It seemed like a deliberate attempt to showcase her wealth and win favor, leaving Cameron with a bitter taste of frustration at the unnecessary flaunting of privilege.

Gemma’s attention was drawn to a dark-skinned girl with her hair elegantly braided. She flashed the girl a sly smile in response to the small chuckle she overheard from her direction.

“What’s so amusing, Bexley? Finding humor in charity?” Gemma’s tone dripped with condescension as she addressed the girl.

Bexley chuckled unabashedly. “Oh, Gemma, spare me the act. This whole ‘charitable’ facade is just a ploy for you to gain favor. Deep down, you couldn’t care less about those less fortunate.”

A blonde girl interjected defensively, “That’s not true. Gemma genuinely cares. She’s donating hundreds of dollars today alone!”

Joining in, a brunette added, “Yeah, she’s making a real difference.”

Bexley’s expression remained skeptical as she crossed her arms, arching a brow at them.

In her typical high-and-mighty girly voice, Gemma retorted, “Of course, I care. Everyone loves me for who I am.” With a flourish, she produced a stack of bills.

“Here’s a little something, because it looks like you or your peculiar friends could use it.”

Bexley’s gaze shifted to her girlfriend, Cameron, and their friend Brennon at the booth adorned with painted rocks. Annoyance flickered across her features, and she turned back to Gemma with a grumble.