chapter 7

Kylo’s steps echoed in the dimly lit room, his mind racing with strategies. The first light of dawn seeped through the windows, casting long shadows across the floor. Outside, the world stirred with the promise of a new day, yet within these walls, a sense of impending danger loomed heavy.

The imminent threat weighed on Kylo’s shoulders. A group of corrupted elves, loyal to the long-lost demon Elf king Malachi, were poised to invade their village. Millennia had passed since Malachi’s disappearance, but his dark legacy lived on through these followers, haunting the continent with their malevolent intentions.

With a furrowed brow, Kylo’s gaze shifted to the door leading to their sleeping visitors. The silence around him seemed to amplify the tension in the air.

As he paced back and forth, his thoughts raced through various scenarios, weighing the risks and possibilities. The weight of leadership bore down on them, the responsibility to protect their homeland and its inhabitants driving them to seek a decisive course of action.

Outside, the sky painted hues of gold and pink as the sun ascended, oblivious to the turmoil brewing within the fortress walls. Kylo’s determination hardened with each passing moment.

Kylo tried to think of how to get Cameron, Fern, and Maverick out of the village safely without getting seen by the invaders. He wanted Cameron to get where she was going and staying here could get her killed.

Kylo swiftly approached the room, his hand reaching for the door handle with purpose. As he entered, his eyes scanned the room until they settled on Fern, peacefully asleep on the couch.

Gently, he placed a hand on her shoulder, giving a slight shake. “Fern,” he whispered urgently, trying to rouse her from her slumber.

Fern grumbled, turning away in annoyance. Undeterred, Kylo shook her again, more insistently this time. “Fern, please wake up. We need to talk. It’s important,” he urged, his voice carrying a sense of urgency.

Annoyed, Fern grabbed her pillow and hurled it at his face. “Go away, I still don’t want to deal with you,” she retorted, her frustration evident.

“You don’t have to like me, but this concerns all of us,” Kylo persisted, his tone firm as he emphasized the gravity of the situation. “If you want to make it out of here alive, you need to listen.”

His words seemed to penetrate Fern’s grogginess, prompting her to sit up and take notice. She quickly ran her fingers through her disheveled hair, preparing herself for whatever news Kylo had to deliver. With a skeptical expression, she regarded him expectantly. “What’s so important that you had to wake me up for this?” she questioned.

Kylo wasted no time, his grip firm as he guided Fern out of the room, ensuring that Cameron and Maverick remained undisturbed in their slumber.

“We’re going to be under attack soon, and I need to get you guys out safely,” he explained urgently as they moved down the hallway.

“Under attack?” Fern’s voice was tinged with disbelief. “By who?”

“The corrupted,” Kylo replied grimly.

Fern’s expression shifted, a flicker of fear crossing her features. “Is Zinta one of them?” Her tone carried a note of internal panic.

“I don’t know, but we can’t take any chances,” Kylo admitted, his voice tinged with concern.

Without hesitation, Fern turned on her heel and headed for the front door, her steps quickening with a sense of urgency. Kylo hurried after her, catching her arm and turning her to face him.

“What about Cameron, Maverick, and the wolf pup?” Kylo’s tone was serious, his gaze searching hers for any sign of reconsideration.

“I can’t risk my life for them. If Zinta finds me, it’s over,” Fern exclaimed, her voice filled with determination.