THIRTY-THREE

"Gyda, do not!" Saga yelled after me as I dove between my own men and Daga's.

Daga had rode away, fleeing back to the fortress of Dunholm, living up to his true cowardly nature.

"This ends today!" I briefly glanced back at her as she pushed past the men surrounding us.

We had won the battle of Letham Hill, and my father's men had laid down their arms and surrendered. Those who were loyal to Daga were slain, and no hostages were taken.

I had nearly four hundred warriors and their sworn oaths but no land to house them on and nowhere to lead them.

Daga had to fall.

"Helios!" I roared, looking over the men, hoping my voice would travel far enough for my horse to hear it.

"Jarl, he will not be safe in Dunholm," Torben assured me, "let him flee. We can regroup now, feast, and storm Dunholm another day."

A loud neigh had men diving to the sides, and Helios burst through the crowds, galloping towards me.

"There is no other day," I hissed, holding my arm out, "I will not let him keep my home!"

Saga tried to reason with me again, "Gyda—"

I caught Helios's bridle as he whipped past me, jumping up and hooking my foot into the stirrup.

"Jarl!" 

I sat down on Helios's back as he darted through the trees, swinging my leg over so I could ride him comfortably, following the trail Daga and his few soldiers had left behind. I did not need to think too hard, though. There was only one road to Dunholm.

Helios did not need guiding either. He remembered the roads, jumping over tree branches and stones.

"Gyda!"

I tensed slightly, crouching and urging Helios to ride faster.

"Gyda! You will not ride alone!" Uhtred bellowed behind me, forcing his horse forward as well, trailing only slightly behind me.

"This is my fight!" I threw over my shoulder, my eyes narrowing as the dark walls of Dunholm came into sight.

"I will fight for you!" Uhtred yelled over the wind, "We made a deal! I will honour it!"

I pulled on Helios's bridle, forcing him to stop sharply.

Uhtred scrambled to stop his horse, riding backwards to meet me, his chest heaving, "You are a good rider."

I stared at him, my heart pounding in my ears, "You swore to fight beside me in battle. You have done that. Now, you must only wait for Daga's death, and then, I will turn my sights to Bebbanburg and help you reclaim what is yours."

Uhtred shook his head firmly, "I know how it feels to fight for your home better than anyone. I will not let you face Daga alone."

"Nor I!" A loud voice boomed.

I glanced back to see Finan, on Sunchaser, and Henrick riding towards us; my heart dropped a little as Sihtric did not appear with them, and the anger I felt grew. "I will kill him."

"Then, kill him," Henrick breathed out heavily, his dark eyes watching me, "but do not expect to be alone when it happens."

I turned away from his gaze, looking back at Dunholm.

The gate was open, and I could see people running around frantically inside. Daga had moved the forest camp inside the walls, and now, those people were in danger because of him.