Chapter 18: To Love is to Let Go

***Taraji's POV

I could only hope Fantasia liked what I cooked for her. By no means am I a chef, but I wanted tonight to be special for her. For us.

Though not being much of a cook, I tried my luck at pasta with a creamy white cheese sauce and a buttery lemon garlic lobster tail. I had no idea what I was doing, but at least I knew the lobster wasn't alive. I don't think he was anyway.

I can't imagine Fantasia ever forgiving me for letting her food bite her back. Unless it was me.

She sits real pretty at the counter just watching me. I hope it looked like I knew what I was doing.

"T, do you know what you're doing?"

Well that answered my thought. I was genuinely fighting this lobster. I think I'll name him Larry.

"Baby go sit in the den and watch some TV. I'll figure this out for us, don't worry."

"Maybe I'll watch Spongebob. The last thing the lobster will see is what their life could've been like if you weren't killing them." She leans over the island to kiss me, then does a quick praying motion.

"Haha, you're so funny," I watch her walk away. We all already know exactly what I was looking at.

I was so entranced that I accidentally drop the lobster. Thankfully he landed in the pot since he was headed there anyway.

A little over an hour later I was able to get everything together, placing a plate in front of us both. We sat at her dining table, where she used to hold her dinner parties. Now each empty seat felt even emptier. I decided to sit directly next to her, even scooting my chair slightly closer.

I wanted to be on her lap if I could.

As we eat, I notice Fantasia get strangely quiet. The silence was killing me. Oh no, the food must taste like shit.

"Tasia?"

"Yes, baby?"

"Does it taste like shit?"

She starts laughing, unable to steady herself. God, I killed Larry for nothing.

I sigh, thinking I've ruined tonight. I needed it special and beautiful for us, because I had something I wanted to give her. I just needed the right moment.
Time was hanging over my head, each tick rattling my spine. It was now it never really.

"Taraji, this food is amazing. You fought that lobster for a great cause. You sacrificed a life for me! And this pasta is so delicious. I'm not going to lie to you, I wasn't expecting it to be so good."

She's gotta be playing with me. I take a bite, immediately groaning in pleasure. She was right...I think I have a new career to try out.

"I literally should get an apron set. I think that'll make me official."

Tasia steals a bite off my plate, "I'll get you one baby. I'll support all your dreams."

The blush that crept on my face exposed me so bad. I loved when she said little sweet things like that.

"I know what I want it to say." I look for her hand, grasping it tightly.

"Mhm?"

"Fantasia's wife."

That was the first time I ever mentioned the thought of marriage out loud to her. That quiet that we sat in earlier got even quieter. How was that possible?

She wasn't moving a muscle. So neither did I.

"Wife," was all she said. The manner was simple, lacking emotion.