4. Unheard

Fiona, after stepping out of the garden, stopped in surprise in front of Monica. Burt and Milie were so engrossed in organizing the garden that they didn't pay attention. The woman awkwardly tried to act as if she was just taking an innocent walk around the neighborhood.

Fiona: Agent Moonbeam, what are you doing here?

Monica: Oh, just... just checking a few things for my work. Nothing special. - Monica says, trying to strike an official tone, but her voice betrays her concern.

Fiona looked at her curiously, sensing that Monica was hiding more than she was willing to say.

Fiona: This "few things," it's about Coop, isn't it?

Monica: I said, I just wanted to check a few things. I'm assessing the security risks of the area.

Fiona looked at her attentively, noticing Monica's discomfort, which reminded her of Coop.

Fiona: You know, you two are very similar in that way. Coop also finds it hard to express his true feelings. You can't deny that you're from the same family.

Monica sighed, broken under the weight of the words, finally giving into her emotions.

Monica: I don't know why, but... I worry about him. He seems strong and brave, but... I still feel I need to be there for him.

Fiona nodded understandingly.

Fiona: That's called maternal instinct.

Monica: And how can one... get past this? It just hinders my work. I don't understand how I can feel this way, especially after losing my memories. It's a kind of paradox.

Fiona: I supposedly lost my memories too, the ones related to Mr. Kat. But I still like Coop, even if I find this whole alien thing hard to believe.

Monica: But it's not the same. You only lost your memories related to Mr. Kat. I lost the memories of my entire life.

During their conversation, Fiona realized that Monica, despite trying to suppress her emotions and instincts, actually cares deeply for Coop, and perhaps she's here now because she wants to get to know her daughter Millie as well, and maybe Burt too.

Fiona: Maybe... Maybe memories aren't just in our heads. Maybe our hearts remember too. And our feelings, our instincts might be stronger than we think.

Suddenly, they heard a loud shout coming from the Burtonburger house. The shout came from Burt as he was working in the garden. Fiona and Monica crept over to see what had happened.

During his gardening project, Burt was installing a new, innovative irrigation system he had invented. The system was designed to automatically water the freshly planted vegetables in the garden. Burt always enjoyed DIY projects, but sometimes he got too excited without fully thinking through his plans. In this case, one of the pipes in the irrigation system was connected in the wrong direction, and when Burt proudly pressed the start button, the water didn't spray towards the plants but directly at Burt, completely soaking him.

Fiona and Monica were both surprised, but couldn't hold back their laughter as they saw Burt standing there, wet and confused, trying to figure out what went wrong.

Seeing this, Monica felt a bit embarrassed and sheepishly said to Fiona.

Monica: Incredible... It's hard to believe that this man was my husband, and he's the father of my children.

Monica's voice carried a sort of bewildered astonishment, as she did not remember how she came to be with Burt. Because of her amnesia, every interaction with Burt, even the fact of their past relationship, was a complete mystery to her.