THE BIG STAR AND THE LITTLE STAR

James stares down at his son; a newborn, wriggling, pinkish, little boy, who has no name, and a large pair of brown eyes.

And when his own brown eyes meet those other pair, everything else in the room becomes silent. Totally, utterly, silent.

James has never felt like this before; and yet, then again, he has never just paid witness to his husband delivering their very own baby before either; and that revelation haunts him; the mere fact that this tiny, squirming, naked, baby boy is a product of he and his sweet, clever, husband.

He feels every sliver of air revert out of his lungs, leaving him, as he gazes down at their son. Their son. Their boy. Their newborn baby. James' heart, although their baby is only a mere few minutes old, is already beating just for this tiny boy.

They hadn't known, truly, that they were going to have a boy. Regulus had only briefly argued against it, and James would have been a fool to ever disagree with his husband.

"Well, it'll either be one or the other, babe. Why would we want to take that surprise away from the experience, mmh?" Regulus had hummed one night, from his place wrapped up on the couch, cuddled against a pregnancy pillow, his bump had been peeking out from beneath his navy, cotton, pyjamas, his elbow propped up against the couch, palm resting against his pale face, and James had wished that he could have imprinted that image right onto his brain, and stare at it forever and ever.

"Whatever you think is best, darling," James had handed him his mug of tea as he had spoke.

Regulus had then shrugged, musing, as he had thanked James, glancing up at him with weary, tired, grey eyes. "Yeah? You always say that, don't you? You always let me decide,"

"Why wouldn't I? Your opinion is the only one that'll ever matter to me, sweetheart,"

And James had meant it. Whatever name, whatever decision, that Regulus makes for their child, James will wholeheartedly agree.

"It's a boy! Oh, Regulus, my darling, we have a little baby boy on our hands," James whispers, still unable to tear his eyes away from his son. "We...we have a son," He chokes out.

Regulus' face is weary and wrecked, plagued, with exhausted. However, James does not ignore the way in which his husband's eyes light up, the way in which he smiles wetly, his face damp from sweat and the overall effort of his delivery.

He has just come through eighteen hours of intense labour, and it had been difficult, and tiresome, on his body, and yet? Yet, he had done it. And James has never been more proud of his husband.

"A boy?" Regulus croaks, his voice throatily. "Oh, oh, wow," He mumbles, voice cracking. "Oh, a little boy," His voice is soft, yet drowsy.

James gently brings his son over towards Regulus' bed, having already cut his cord so delicately, so tenderly. "Here, love," James utters, brushing back Regulus' damp fringe with his free hand. "Meet our little boy," He whispers, attempting in vain to hold back even more tears. "He's very excited to meet you too, honey, he's so excited to meet his mama, I just know it,"

When Regulus first lays eyes on their tiny son, after James had laid their boy down on his chest, his reaction is instant, and similar to that of James' one; immediate tears, immediate weeping, at the mere sight of their baby.

"Oh, James, he's beautiful," Regulus rasps. "He's got your lovely eyes, and...and he has those pouty little lips that Sirius and I have," Regulus gasps out softly. "He's...he's so beautiful,"

James smiles, softly patting his husband's shoulder, before leaning to kiss his forehead. "Thank you," James mumbles.

"Thank you?" Regulus echoes as their son squirms against his chest. Instinctively, Regulus brings a palm to rest against their little boy's very tiny back, and James feels his heart spark at the mere, simple, sight of it.