FOUR | 𝓣𝓻𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐬, 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐝.

Today is the day we start training.

A sick feeling bubbles and churns in the pit of my stomach so I bite the inside of my cheek to help overcome my discomfort. Finnick notices this.

"It's okay," He says across the table and smiles at me. "Training isn't anything to worry about,"

"I'm not really worried about the actual training," I sigh. "More worried about finding allies,"

Finnick nods knowingly. Last night, he told me to find allies. He's my mentor so I have to listen to his guidance, but I'm nervous of the idea of putting trust in any of the other tributes. After all, despite wanting helping each other out, we all know deep down our best interest is killing one another.

"Like anyone would want to be your ally," Mike mutters and bites into his bagel.

"Oh shut up you wanker," I scoff and roll my eyes.

Mike glares at me. Before he can say anything vulgar back, Finnick laughs awkwardly. "So...you guys good with any weapons?"

"What do you think?" Mike responds sarcastically. "We're careers,"

"Fine, I'll rephrase. Which weapons are you good at handling?" Finnick asks whilst giving Mike a harsh look.

"I'm not saying anything whilst she's in the room," Mike glances towards me. "Ask a different question,"

I'm not offended by Mike's comment. To be honest, I was thinking the same thing before he even verbalised it.

Finnick sighs defeatedly. "Will you train properly the next few days or will you gatekeep your abilities from the others?"

"Train properly I guess," I shrug. "No point in hiding anything. We look pure and undaunting to the Capitol after those outfits Tigris made us wear during the opening ceremony, but when we're in a room purely with the other tributes, I don't see much reason in keeping up that innocence,"

Finnick nods. "Yeah, I recommend just showing the others how good you are. That attracts allies,"

"And enemies," Mike adds.

Paula walks into the room with a bottle of booze. Her usual neat crown of hair is currently a messy mane encasing her face, her hot pink makeup is melting slightly from the wetness of her sweaty skin, and her expensive designer clothes are ruffled and creased making them look cheap and tacky. I have no doubt she's drunk - sober Paula wouldn't even dream of being seen in a horrendous state like this.

"Paula, it's only eight in the morning, get a grip," Finnick sighs. "Pass me that bottle, now. You're going to be on the news with Caesar later!"

Paula rolls her eyes. "Oh get a life," she says whilst chugging some more of the deep purple liquid. "You kids want some?"

Well, I suppose it might make me a little less nervous. "Sure, I'll-"

"Miss Witherton, please do everyone a favour and take a bath," Tigris says from behind Paula. "The smell of booze has never appealed to me,"

Paula sighs and leaves the room without any argument. Wow, I had no idea how superior Tigris was to her.

"Thanks, Tigris," Finnick tilts his head tiredly and pulls his lips into a slight smile.