Chapter 1 - A Cheesy Encounter

Y/N POV

"I'm coming. Wait!"
I burst down the stars, nearly tripping over my garfield slippers. I ran across the living room, navigating through the loads of boxes and to the front door. Not even caring to peer through the peephole, I opened the door, expecting to see my mother. In the doorway stood a young man—around my age, I presume—with short, messy brown hair peeking out from under his cap. In his hands were a stack of pizza boxes.

"Hey! A large pepperoni pizza and a small sardine pizza right?" he questioned, greeting me with a cheeky smile. It must have been my mother who ordered these pizzas. She's the only one in the universe who likes pepperoni pizza. I can never understand her tastes. Ew!

"I think so?"

"Alright! Total should be 28 doubloons," he responded, taking out the pizzas. It was then when I realized I had no money. Yup. Flat broke. If only my mom was here. Speaking of her, she should've been home by now!

"Hey..uhm, I hope you don't mind, but could you wait here for just a minute? My mom will be home any second, and she'll pay when she gets back. Sorry," I nervously replied; but judging from his friendly demeanor, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

"Oh yeah. Totally. No problem at all. Take your time," he chuckled. "Wait, didn't you guys just move into town?"

"Mhm. Moved all the way from Starlight City."

"Woah, that's far. Well, I'm sure you'll like it here in Tastyville. We're known for having the best pizzas in Flipverse!" he boasted with a smug look on his face. Not knowing what to say, I awkwardly smiled back. I then caught a glimpse of my mom's vehicle—a school bus—pulling into the driveway.

The delivery boy turned his head around to where I was staring. "Oh, that's just my mom," I stated. We both waited as she came out of the bus and towards the doorstep.

"Is that Roy? Oh snookums, I haven't seen you since forever! Come here," my mom spread her arms and embraced him in a warm hug. Wait, what? My mom knows him? Wait a minute, Roy?! Like that kid from my childhood? "Oh, I see you've met Roy already, Y/N. It has been so long since you guys saw each other," my mom commented. Roy shot me an awkward stare in response. This felt uncomfortable. My mom broke the silence, exclaiming, "C'mon, don't be so tense. I know it's been a long time, but you guys used to be bestie-westies. Like two peas in a pod!"

"Ahaha hahaha ..H-hey Y/N? Long time no see," Roy awkwardly chuckled. He nervously scratched his head, with an embarrassed smile plastered on his face. I could feel my mom nudge me to get me to say something back.

"Yeah...It's been a long time. Never thought I'd see you again," I uttered, not knowing what to say.

It was total silence until my mom's voice permeated my ears: "Well Roy, I hope you can help Y/N adjust to town. You can be her little tour guide! When are you free Roy? Me and your uncle can set up a little 'playdate' for you and Y/N!" Oh. My. Gosh. You know sometimes, I hate my mom. Why would she do this to me?

"Oh.. I could ask my uncle to schedule me off tomorrow? Does that work for you guys—I mean Y/N?"

"Of course! Y/N is free all week. She has no friends as of right now, and she could really use some," my mom happily jumped at the offer, in my stead.

"Alright. I guess it's settled. I'll see you tomorrow Y/N? Oh, and I can just come to your house next morning. Here's my number: (857) 261-6200," Roy handed me a note, with his phone number on it.

I took his note and responded, "Oh...thanks. Uhm yeah. See you tomorrow?" Roy flashed a smile in response, but I could tell he was just as uncomfortable as me.

"Bye Y/N's mom and Y/N!" Roy waved, returning back to his delivery moped.

"Bye Roy!" my mom enthusiastically replied and closed the door. "Alright. Time to chow down on the pizzas! Oh, and by the way, the pepperoni pizza is all mine!" I rolled my eyes and took the sardine pizza.

As I gulped down on my pizza, all I could think about was that boy. I can't believe my mom wants me to go out with him tomorrow. Looking back at it, he was kinda cute. I could feel my ears slightly go red. Wait, what? What am I even saying? Whatever. Let's just hope tomorrow goes well.