Chapter 4 | What Are We?

______________________________

The days following Salem and Carls first kiss were awkward to say the least. Salem tried to approach Carl, but he would quickly put his hands in his pockets and end the conversation. This left Salem incredibly confused, and frustrated.

After a week of Carl avoiding her, Salem had enough of it. One night, after Carl had straight up turned around and walked the other direction upon seeing her, she decided to confront him in his cell. "What happened to that smooth talking guy that pinned me up on the outlook railing?" Salem says to herself, psyching herself up to confront Carl.

"You've been through so much shit and you're scared to talk to a boy? Cmon girl, get it together," she sits up from her bed, going to leave her cell and walk to Carls next door when she hears voices from Carls cell, making her pause and listen.

"I understand Carl, but you know what happens when we get too involved. It's just too risky. I don't want you to get hurt like I did," she recognizes the gruff scratchy voice. "Yeah, but I'm not you dad. This doesn't have to be like that, I'll make sure of it." She heard Carls voice respond. "You don't know what you're getting into son," "That's not for you to decide!" Carl raises his voice. "Keep your voice down! She'll hear you." Salem realizes they're talking about her.

"I love you dad, and I know mom was hard on you, trust me, it was hard on me too, but I cant let that stop me from having something I've always longed for, something worth it." Carl sounds sad. "Alright, I can't stop you. Just promise me you'll be careful...and safe," "Oh my God dad I don't wanna go there," Rick laughs at this. "I love you son," "Love you dad." Salem hears someone about to come out of the doorway, so she quickly retreats back to her cell and onto her bed, pretending to sleep. "Take care of my boy," Rick says softly after passing by her cell.

"Fuck, I don't think I was supposed to hear that," she peels her eyes open and goes to enter Carls cell again. She peeks her head around the corner and finds him sitting on the edge of his bed, hands on his knees holding his head, which is hunched down. "Hey, Carl?" Salem approaches in a soft tone. "Salem, hey," he looks up surprised. "I...why have you been avoiding me?" She doesn't beat around the bush before asking what she came to ask.

"I'm sorry. I really am. It's just...my dad told me I had to stay away from you, he thinks he knows what's best for me but he doesn't," Salem listens to Carl speak. "He saw us...in the watchtower," "Oh Christ" Salem groans out in embarrassment. "How many people saw that?" "Apparently, enough to get everyone talking about it," Carl raises one eyebrow.

"So...it wasn't anything I did?" Salem asks, still hugging the corner of the wall outside his cell, afraid to step into the room. "What? No, of course not," Carl stands up and walks over to the girl in the corner. "Promise," he grabs one of her hands and leads her into the room. "There he is," Salem smirks up at Carl. "What do you mean?" Carl smirks back down at her. "The boy who swept me off my feet in the watchtower, literally." "Yeah, what do you say we continue where we left off there?" Carl wraps his arms around her waist. "Oh really?" Salem smiles up at him and leans on her tippy-toes to give him a peck on the lips.

"That's all you're gonna get," she teases as she pulls her head back. Carl follows her head around in his arms, her giggling as she tries to dodge his kisses. "No! Carl!" She laughs loudly as he litters kisses all over her face. Carl felt a pang in his heart upon hearing that laugh and seeing that smile from the girl in his arms. A new, unfamiliar feeling. Different from the other new feeling she had given him before, something deeper. At that moment, he knew that he would do anything to protect this girl, even if it meant giving his own life.

"You wanna sleep in here tonight?" Carl asks as he holds her in his arms. "Absolutely," she sighs out, her head on his chest and his chin resting on the top of her head.
______________________________

"Hey Carl?" Salem asks softly, the two cuddling on his bunk, her being little spoon. "Mm?" Carl responds sleepily. "What...what are we?" She turns to face him, sitting up slightly. "What do you want us to be?" "I...I don't know," "We don't have to label anything right now, we can just be us. You and me, that's what we are," Carl looks up at Salem with lovesick eyes. "That sounds good," she leans down to give him a long kiss before snuggling into his chest.
______________________________

Heyyooo! Sorry this chapters so short, needed to speed up the timeline a bit 😂 don't worry though, shits about to get REAL so stay tuned ✌️😚 you are the hottest, baddest bitch for reading ❤️