Chapter 5 | Welcome to the Front Line Kid

TW: Graphic descriptions of violence, hinting of SA ⚠️
_____________________________

TW: Graphic descriptions of violence, hinting of SA ⚠️_____________________________

This is my current lock screen lol.
______________________________

"Hey kiddo, gonna go on a trip, you wanna come with?" Darryl ruffles Salems hair as he passes by her to get on his motorcycle. "Uhh, sure! Lemme grab something real quick," she says as she smooths out her hair. "Alright, make it quick," Darryl gets on his motorcycle, flipping up the break and waiting for the girl.

Salem jogs back to her cell and grabs her backpack. She quickly removes the pistol from the main pouch and slides it into her thigh holster. "Good to go" she mumbles before slipping on her backpack over her shoulders and jogging back outside to meet Daryl.

She's halfway there when she runs into Carl and he pulls on her arm as she jogs past. "Hey, where are you going in such a rush?" Carl asks, a slightly concerned expression on his face. "Oh, just a quick supply run with Daryl. He didn't say where though...I really gotta go I've already taken too long," she pleads with Carl, gently tugging away her wrist from his grip. "Alright, just...be safe...please," he looks down at her. "I will, promise," Salem wraps her pinky finger around his, shakes them then kisses them, making him smile.

"Sorry Daryl, had to grab a few things," she says out of breath as she climbs on the motorcycle behind him. "Let's get this show on the road! Hold on tight," Daryl smiles as he zooms off on the motorcycle.

"So where we going anyways?" Salem asks loudly, trying to project her voice over the engine.

"Saw some smoke out this way this morning, Rick wants us to check it out," he yells back.

"Cool," she responds loudly.
______________________________

"Holy shit," Salem says with a disturbed expression on her face as the two pulled up to the scene.

"Damn," Daryl says solemnly as he parks the motorcycle and flips down the break.

"W-what happened?" Salem asks, observing the scattered burnt bodies around her, circling a small campsite. "Oh...I don't think these guys were walkers," she holds her hand over her nose as she leans down to examine one of the bodies.

"It don't matter," Darryl says, walking past her and going to search one of the tents. "They've got some good stuff in here," Darryl raises his eyebrows at the medium sized stash of goods in the largest tent, "wonder who they ticked off."

"Well whatever happened, I hope the people who did it aren't still around," Salem frequently checks behind her back, as her ears were listening, always. Suddenly she heard a faint snap, and she quickly pulled Daryl to the floor with her.

"Kid what the hell!" Daryl groans out in frustration, going to stand up when Salem pulls him down again. "Someone's here. Stay down," she locks eyes with him, and he nods. They stay crouched as they stealth walk behind a group of trees, the two having to split up and take cover on their own individual trees.