Chapter 7 | The Rattlers

These next few chapters are potentially triggering, please skip them or exit this story if you are worried about being triggered⚠️
(I don't mean to scare you lol, some people are more sensitive to being held hostage/the power dynamic between a captive and captor.)

I'm planning on loosely taking inspiration from the Walking Dead comics and the Last of Us 1.

Ps: I started this story in past tense, but have been flip flopping between present tense, I'm going to fully make this present tense, I just like it better, sorry if I forget sometimes lol.
______________________________

Carls POV:

Daryl and Salem had been gone for about half an hour, Daryl came back once to grab one of the trucks, saying something about scoring a deer. About 15 minutes later he bursts into the cell area, sprinting full speed to the common room where Carl and Rick were sitting, talking at a table.

"Woah, Daryl what happened?" Rick stands up, putting a hand on his shoulder. Daryl gasps for breath as he tried to explain, "Salem's" he coughed out, making Carl whip his head upwards with worry, "gone. Kidnapped I think."

"What do you mean 'kidnapped'?" Carl stands up quickly, sounding aggressive. "Found two of those Rattler guys with arrows through their heads, and the deer Salem and I shot was gone, she can't lift that thing on her own, multiple people took her. It's gotta be them," Daryl explains to Rick, waiting for any sort of signal. "Alright, we'll go back to the hunting site and look for tire tracks, they have to be in a car if they took the deer," Rick has one hand on his hip, the other rubbing his chin as he spoke.

"Alright CORAL," (only CORAL y'all are getting) "you ride with me, " Rick says as he exits the room. The two enter a car and buckle in as Daryl speeds past them on his motorcycle.
______________________________

"Ok we'll follow Daryl from here," Rick says to Carl as he turns off the engine, unbuckling and slamming the car door shut, Carl doing the same, shutting the door a bit harder than his father. Usually, Rick would tell Carl it would all be okay but honestly, he couldn't. They'd been in this version of the world long enough to know it wasn't always going to be okay, Rick knew that and Carl knew that.

"These are her arrows," Daryl redirects the Grimes's attention to the men on the floor. "Wait, look at the placement of the arrows, the top the of head. Either she shot them from the floor-" Carl says, "-or she shot them from above" Rick finishes his thought. "Exactly," Carl says as he looks up into the tree above them. His eyes widen when he sees a trail of blood from one of the branches.

"You're a good detective Grimes," Darryl says as the three look at the bloody branch. "Blood, that's not good" Carl looks at his dad worriedly. "Must've grazed her, not enough blood to come from a bullet wound, on any part of the body," Daryl shakes his head.